1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with installing mod chip

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by foolish, Oct 16, 2004.

1. foolish

foolish Guest

i just got a xenium ice chip for my 1.6. i'm new at this so i don't have a clue how to put it in. i don't wanna mess my xbox up. can some one help.

2. gtaxbox

gtaxbox Regular member

3. foolish

foolish Guest

o.k. i appreciate gtaxbox on replying but i have been to that web site and i did try to re build my motherboard and my xbox didn't work. so i just pulled all the wires off and fortunatly it worked again. i don't know what i did wrong. i'm not good at soldering but i thout it was o.k. what i did was solder the pin header in first, then i solder the wires were they were suppose to go. was i suppose to solder in the pin header? was i suppose to solder the wires to the pin header? the picture lokked like they solder the wire in the holes. if i would have solder them wrong the the xbox would have not worked after i pulled them off right? i also solder the blue and black wire on the front part. now could have any of the soldering been wrong in oder for it not to work?

4. gtaxbox

gtaxbox Regular member

It was most definitely your solderjob (a cold joint or something). Fortunately, however bad you solder a chip on, Xboxes tend to survive it once you remove the chip.

Try the install again, this time with wires. Also, if you have a multimeter, check continuity between the pinheader pins and lpc points, and the lpc voltages once the Xbox is on. Make sure you use flux when soldering to the lpc. Might even help if you scraped the top of the points a little to expose the metal...

5. foolish

foolish Guest

right on! that helps a lil' thanks. one more thing though. you said check the continuity what is that? and i didn't solder the chip i solder the pin header on. ohh i did use wires to wire the mother board on the back. and what do i use to scrap with? hey thanks for the help. so do i not solder the pin header? do i solder the wires in the hole and then lay the pin header in?

6. gtaxbox

gtaxbox Regular member

The way I do it is that I scrape the LPC points with a little screwdriver to get the coating off and expose the metal. Then I apply some flux. Then I place the pin-header on the LPC and solder it from underneath. And finally, I solder the extra wires to the bottom of the pin-header.

Whichever way you do it, it's important that you get the connections good. You can check continuity using a regular multimeter. Switch it to resistance mode and check the resistance between 2 points. If it's 0, there's a connection. So basically, what you need to do is check the continuity between the 4-5 points at the bottom to the corresponding pins on the top side of the pin-header to ensure you have a connection.

Hope that helps.