1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with jvc lite-on dvd-rom please

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dougal58, Apr 27, 2004.

1. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi guys,
    I have a jvc lite-on it dvd-rom JLMS XJ-HD166S.
    Only 6 weeks old,When i first got it it was ripping fine for a few days and since then i keep getting errors when trying to backup a copy dvd-r,I tried a backup copy last night which ripped faultlessly and tried again this morning with the same disc and got a cyclic redundancy error,But when i rip the same disc in my BTC 8X Dual rewriter it rips faultlessly again,
    BTW My Lite-on can rip any original dvd no problem it's just backups which give me problems.
    I have the latest firmware DSIC on the dvd-rom drive and it is set to DMA if available.
    My dvd-rom comes first on the ide cable and then my btc dvd rewriter.
    If someone can tell me how to insert pictures in this message i will post a snapshot of device manager settings.
    Thanx a lot.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi dougal58, Cyclic redundancy error usually means the disc you are reading is dirty or damaged. Since you say it is a burned copy it could be a few things. The original files could have been slightly corrupt when burned. Or your blank media may not be good quality media. The burner drive has a better system for reading and burning than the dvd rom so it could possibly read through the errors while the Rom can't. Just my guess.

Jerry

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2004
  4. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

[bold]jerry746[/bold] It definately is'nt the disc i'm talking about a disc that's just been burned Ritek go4,Taken Straight from the burner to the reader to try to rip another copy.
    [bold]Rotary[/bold] If i go copy to copy it will mosre than likely bomb on me every time as the problem lies with the reader somewhere.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    john lennon 1940/1980[/small]

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

6. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi rotary,
    Did you read my post?My reader and writer are only 6 weeks old,My reader reads original dvd no problem,Reader was fine for a few days it seems to be a hit and a miss somedays fine others not,
    Yes both reader and writer are on the same cable,Is that a good thing or a bad?
    Jumpers are set ok but i don't remember which is master or slave.By primary master and slave do you mean put writer first on the cable?
    Thanx mate.

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

the intermittant behaviour could and i think be casued by the writer not being set to MASTER and the other drive set to slave!!!!

for even better results put it on its own cable!

also if doing copy to copy via 2 drives the same infomation has to travel across itself on the same wires!!!!

NOT GOOD! get CRC erors and more!

8. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi rotary,
    I will check later and see what the drives are set on,
    So is it better to have the drives on their own cables?But then i would'nt be able to do a straight disc to disc copy is that right?
    Cheers rotary.

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

you can get away with the 2 drives on one cable but my setup is like this:

I have raid serial ata150 so:

Primary master = DVD-RW pioneer 106
    Primary slave = empty

Secondary Master = CD-RW liteon 52/24/52 \< same cable
    Secondary slave = DVD-Rom samsung 16x/48x /< same cable

Serial 1 = 160gig ata150
    Serial 2 = 160gig ata150

i want dual raid motherboard next so to have 4 HD's as with raid you only see 1 drive out of 2 as i have mine set to MIRROR in cae of a crash! i have one drive left holding the baby!

Thx...

thx....

10. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi rotary,
    Cheers mate i might try getting another cable and splitting the drives to see how that goes,
    It just puzzles me why my reader will rip any original i throw at it,But gives me errors on most copies with the copies being riteks and not even being played yet.

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

yes it does seem odd? but copy to copy i think has be known to cause poblems but try new app below!

==========================

DVD Decrypter v3.2.2.0 released
    25 April 2004 17:08 by Ketola

One of the best and most versatile DVD rippers available, DVD Decrypter has been updated to version 3.2.2.0.

The new version includes for example support for brute force disc key cracking, and enhanced error checking features. In addition there are serveral changes and fixes. Please check the full (changelog = http://www.afterdawn.com/software/version_history/dvd_decrypter.cfm) for details.

You can download the latest version at

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

12. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Cheers rotary,
    Will download new decrypter and keep investigating,
    Thanx for all your help mate.

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Did Decrypter make any sort of difference?

Have you tried running an read error scan on the freshly burnt disc with DVD Info Pro to make sure the copy has no errors?

You've the same firmware I have, DSIC, so that should be fine.

I must admit I've never ripped a copy with mine before so I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens. Off to bed now, 1:30A.M. and the gf just wore me out something fierce :)

14. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi nephilim,
    Decrypter made no difference at all,
    I backed up a movie and tried to back the copy up immediately afterwards and i get read errors,but it can read the copy ok using my burner,
    I backed up kill bill and my reader read the copy fine,So i immediately tried again still using my reader and the second time it failed,Think i may have got a duff reader?Can you give me your settings so i can check against my own please as i am out of ideas,
    Thanx mate.
    Also i have dvd info but don't know what i am looking for when it reads the disc structure,Can you let me know please as there are a lot of options in dvd info.