1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with making a linux .iso

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by bmxer4lyf, Jan 16, 2006.

1. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

Hi, I have downloaded two versions of Linux, one called:

SuSe?

and one called:

Fedora?

Anyways, there was 4 .rar files called Fedora.iso something like that, and one called FedoraRecoveryCD.iso [5 In total]

So I opened the first .rar FedoraCD1.iso, and there are a bunch of files...

Now, I was expecting to see one file: FedoraCD1.iso, not the contents of the .iso

Because, I have burned .ISO's before, but only when they have been one file.

I have extracted all of the contents of each .rar into 5 different folders. (CD1, CD2, ect)

Here is a screen of what CD1 looks like, in the folder I extracted it to.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/bmxer4lyfe/linux.jpg

My question is, how would I make all of these files for disc one, be a bootable CD when inserted into the CD-Drive? And so-on for the other discs.

PS- I do not have a DVD burner, thats why I downloaded them so I could put each on a CD-R

Any help please? Thanks alot!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  2. rundata

rundata Guest

yeah its 5 cd's thats why its 5 iso's :p. burn the 5 iso images without extracting them.. just write an iso to a disk. dont add it as a file like a data cd tho.

3. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

But thats the thing, I dont know where to find just the .iso

When I open the .rar its just a bunch of files. No .iso

4. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

Those rar files probably are the .iso's

5. rundata

rundata Guest

lol yeah they are the iso's you probably have file extentions hidden, go to my computer click tools menu go to folder options. click view and then uncheck hide known file extentions etc

6. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

Thank you guys SOO much. I just installed SuSe v10.0, and I swear I cant even express how happy I am! I shed tears just talking about it... :p

I didn't think it would be this noob-friendly!

I don't think I will ever go back to that crappy Windows....

Thanks again everyone!!!

7. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

If you think it's user friendly now, you should see the paid version ;)

8. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

Yeah, I like this one so much, I think I am going to buy the versions in store. But what are the features of those?

And I live in Canada, any ideas where they would sell them? Or would it be something like I have to buy directly online?

Also, whats the retail versions name(s), and which would you reccommend (hopefully not too expensive)

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  9. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

Dunno where you can buy it in Canada, you could check the SuSE site for info on that, it also has an online stores list.

The apps on the store bought SuSE are a lot alike, just some extra apps, some better versions of software, more extensive, etc.
    If you find a store that sells linux distro's they can tell you all the differences there.

As for price, it isn't cheap, but it's not as expensive as getting a new windows cd, that's for sure...

10. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

Ok, Ill look into it once I get the hang of Linux. Im still really stumped with it.

I have so many questions.

Maybe you could help me with a few?

I downloaded a few .mpegs and some .mpgs but cant seem to watch them. I have looked at two programs called Xine, and one called MPlayer. Lol, I also don't know how to install programs...haha. Becuase I am so used to clicking a .exe, I have no clue what to do with the files I download.

And I downloaded WINE, but I just need to know who to install programs and such, if I can, i hope wine works for opening the .exe's and stuff

Also, I might try Fedora Core 4, since everyone is saying good things about it, or would you not recommend it? If you do, which of the 4 .iso's would I be downloading here:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/iso/

I see two sets of 4 .iso's...

Hopefully you can help?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  11. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

Since you already have SuSE installed, i'd say stick with that.
    Fedora works the same as SuSE, so it won't make installing programs easier for a Windows user.

As for the installation of programs, i'm to busy to type it out right now so i'd say go ask here : http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/

They can help you there for sure, as long as you have enough patience to wait for a proper reply.