1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with my computer

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by odb992001, Mar 1, 2005.

1. odb992001

odb992001 Guest

Hi all, i know little about computers. my computer an e machine i got from bestbuy 2 years ago is making a clicking sound when i turn the power on. and now is boots up slow or say no power operation found just a black screen and clicking sound keeps going. do u guys think it a loose wire in the tower thats why it keeps clicking like it wants to shut down. thanks for all ur help. odb

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

open the computer case than turn it on to hear were the noise is comming from. post results

3. odb992001

odb992001 Guest

i'm not at home but i did it yesterday and the noise is coming from or by the hard drive.i think it may be wrer the power button is right front of the hard drive. and thank u for the reply.

4. ddp

more likely is the hard drive itself once you mention it was in that area which the hd might have gone bye bye. power up the system to make certain still ticking noise than remove both cables from drive & repower the system to see if post & to hear if ticking is gone or not

5. odb992001

odb992001 Guest

ok i will try when get home. is it normal for a hd to go out like that. i have one more hd 160gb but i have no disk to format it. and how can i get my windows xp and other stuff back to the new drive.

6. ddp

if old drive is gone & it can happen at any time but check to see if still under warranty with emachine or hd manufacturer. if drive gone than info is gone too, so could use rescue disk to reload from scratch

7. odb992001

odb992001 Guest

thanks for all your help. i still have a warranty with bestbuy and i will take back friday after work. thanks again ddp.

8. ddp

no problem, teach & learn