1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with NEC ND-1100A, greatly appreciated!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by erram20j, Feb 12, 2007.

1. erram20j

erram20j Member

Hi,

I have a problem with my Dell Dimension 4550. I can read and write CD's and also watch DVD's, but I can not write to a DVD+R or DVD+RW. I have updated my firmware and am stuck, hoping someone could help.

I am sure this question has come up many times, but I could not find one that was specific enough for my problem.

I would greatly appreciate any help and i am computer literate.

P.S.
    Have downloaded Nero info-tool and found that I need to update the ASPI, but when I went to the site I could not find it.

I also get a power calibration error?

Thanks again,
    Jake

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

well i don't think that you have a dvd burner on your system, i searched you model and the specs and this model does come with a cd burner but not a dvd burner, unless you upgraded,

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well this drive does write to DVD + or - formats it is just a little older drive but it should dtill work fine. If you have updated your firmware and are still having problems. Here is the link to your latest firmware just in case Nec ND-1100A

You didn't mention what brand of media you are using? You could try a different brand.

4. erram20j

erram20j Member

Hi again,

Thanks for replying.

I tried Sony DVD+R and Maxell DVD+RW.

Niether of these worked, when I put in the disc it recognizes it as a CD instead of a DVD.

Why would it matter what brand of DVD I am using?

I also have Sonic MYDVD 4.0 installed.

I dont know if it is having a problem recognizing the drive as a DVD burner.

Thanks,
    Jake

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The reason I ask about the brand of media because some brands just arent anygood, but you should still be able to atleast see or read the DVD as long as your firmware is up to date.

Try this DVD Identifier. Load that program and then see if your drive can read the media.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

NEC 1100A. Plus format only drive,but may have a hacked firmware to make it do dash format as well?

It's a good drive,but old. Older drives will have a harder time recognizing the newer 16x media,in case those sony +R are the 1x-16x speed. Lots of drives having firmware issues with SonyD21 media and a firmware usually fixes it. But some manufacturers may not update very often-it's like a way of telling you that you better upgrade to a newer burner.

You said you updated the firmware,did you use the correct version?

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=301

The 1100A has 4 different firmware versions. Regular,Dell,Fujitsu,and I/O Data or something like that.Huge difference between the 4.

Has that burner burned any dvds before?

Power Calibration error: Usually an issue with your media or the drive is going dead.

Try going into device manager under cdrom/dvd drives.Locate that 1100A drive,double click it,click drivers tab,uninstall drivers,and reboot. Sometimes they can get lost.

Nero may tell you that you don't have an aspi,but nero has it's own aspi-so no biggie.

Pick up a pack of verbatim +R,and try to find the lower +8x speed if possible.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  7. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

erram20j this is a combo drive right? when you go into nero to burn a dvd you should be able to select the drive to burn with either cdr or dvdr does nero show you the option to do this? also were you able to burn dvd's before? or have you never tryed?

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This was from the NEC website concerning this drive

You can get the info from here NEC ND-1100A

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

saugmon,

The specifications don't say what it will write just what it supports but when you read the fist page of the manual it does only say + so my bad!! :)

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Dad I used it used it as a reader,hell of a reader drive. Because of no booktyping capability,I didn't try any of the 16x verbatim or sony in it.

Most of the media feedback from videohelp.com listed mostly 4x and 8x media.I didn't get far into the user feedback.

12. erram20j

erram20j Member

Hi again,

I updated my firmware to 10GE, is this the correct one?

I went to dell to get it and it gave me all of the instructions to do so.

The burner has never burned any DVD's, so I dont know if it ever worked. But it does great with CD's, it just wont read a DVD to burn it, but it plays them fine.

Another thing I noticed is sometimes the drive will not recognize any sort of CD, i have to open and close it several times to get it to load, i dont know if there is an option somewhere, so it loads on the first time?

What do I need to do about uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, could you possibly give me a how to, so I dont mess anything up, thanks.

So I need DVD's that burn at a lower speed, what are the best DVD's to use with this drive?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the help.

Talk to you soon.

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

10GE is the latest update for for the Dells,if that drive came bundled with your dell.

Do you know what it was before that update?

Slower speed media?

Getting very hard to find the 4x speed. Check bestbuy out.Look for the Verbatim Digital movie quality discs-they'll be silver and black with a pic of a movie reel. These will code as MCC-002 and I know they will work.

8x are getting hard to find as well.

8x verbatim-sam's club usually has them. Also look for the japanese maxells in the +8x speed-wrappers will say made in japan.

If you could locate some genuine + format ty at supermediastore.com,meritline.com,and rima.com-see if they have the slower 4x or 8x speed.

14. erram20j

erram20j Member

Hi again,

I downloaded that DVD identifier program and it gave me this message.

DVD Identifier V5.0.1
    [17:32:39] Initializing Drive Interface [Auto-Select ASPI/SPTI]
    [17:32:39] SPTI Drive Interface Successfully Initialized
    [17:32:39] 1 Supported Drive Found (Out Of 1 Available Drive)
    [17:32:39] Manufacturer Database [08-OCT-06@727$93] Loaded From File : (@727$93) Entries Found
    [17:32:45] Unable To Retrieve Version Info From Internet. Check Internet Connection & Firewall Settings
    [17:33:36] DVD+R/+RW Medium Detected. Starting Identification...
    [17:33:36] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 1 (Original ADIP)
    [17:33:36] ERROR : ADIP Read M1 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00]
    [17:33:36] INFO : ADIP Read Method 1 Not Supported ; Method 2 Will Be Attempted
    [17:33:36] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 2 (Copy Of ADIP)
    [17:33:36] ERROR : ADIP Read M2 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00]
    [17:33:36] INFO : ADIP Read Method 2 Requires A Written DVD+R/+RW Disc
    [17:33:36] Disc Identification Did Not Complete Successfully

I dont know if anybody knows what this means, but i will sure be happy if someone does.

I think it has something to do with the
    Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00].

If anybody knows anything about that, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Jake