1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Nero

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pearcemd, Apr 12, 2005.

1. pearcemd

pearcemd Member

I had copied about 10 DVDs using Shrink and Nero just fine, and then I started having problems. When I would open Shrink I could open the disc and it would analyze it, but once I wanted to back it up it would stop responding. At that point I couldn't get the program to end, start any other program, or even restart the computer. I had similar results when opening Nero as well. I scanned for viruses several times and reinstalled both twice, and I still had the same results. Finally, I saw a topic somewhere that seemed similar, and it suggested to unselect "Enable burning with Nero." I did this, and Shrink seems to work fine. However, I'm having the same problems with Nero. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

what are your computer specs? CPU type and speed, size of RAM, hard drive size.

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall Nero? I had problems once and that fixed it.

3. pearcemd

pearcemd Member

I'm really going to show my lack of knowledge here, but I honestly don't know the specs of my computer. Where could I look to find out? I know my hard drive is 28 GB with 9 free, and I use an external as well that's 160 GB with 130 free. The rest I'm really not sure. It's about five years old, and generally a piece of junk. However, I've never had a problem like this. What I can't figure out is how I was able to burn several just fine, and all of a sudden it stopped. Should I just trash the thing?

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

well upgrading is always an option....

But to be more realistically, try this: download DVD Decrypter, start using Shrink just like normal but after you hit backup and that window pops up, set it to make an ISO and burn with DVD Decrypter. This will try to rule out Nero being the problem.

5. pearcemd

pearcemd Member

Sorry, I just noticed that you had responded again to this thread.

I had actually begun using Decrypter, and it worked fine. It seemed really slow. It said it was burning at .4X, and I had it set at MAX. Could this just be due to how slow my computer is? Because I believe my drive will burn DVDs at 16X. The other problem I had with decrypter is that the DVDs I burn with it won't play on an XBOX, and I don't know what else they won't play on. They will play on my higher end DVD player though, so that isn't a huge problem. I was just curious if there are some settings I could change to fix that.

Back to Nero...After exhausting every possible solution I could think of to fix it, I downloaded a demo of it. It worked fine. I burned four DVDs on it, and then I deleted all of the files for each movie. I immediately started having the same problems.

This really isn't a huge deal to me. I can use decrypter, and I will be upgrading in the near future. It's really just more of annoyance. I want to know WHY it won't work. I've had a couple of my friends who are much more computer savvy than I am look at it, and they seem baffled.

Sorry about the long post. Thanks for any help.

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

a couple of ideas. You mentined only burning at .4x? Maybe you're stuck in PIO mode. Since you said your computer is 5 years old, I'm assuming you're running Windows 98? Here's a link to help you get back to DMA if you're in PIO mode, which will allow data transfer much faster to your burner:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confWin-c.html

Another thought: If you are running Nero, go into Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and see if you have InCD installed. If you do, uninstall it, it's more of a headache than anything. This may solve your problem of your drive locking up on you.

Good luck, keep me posted!