1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with networking

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by SypherTek, Dec 7, 2005.

1. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

Hey all,

Anybody offer any advice on networking an IBook G3 to my PC have tried numerous times but cannot share files or internet connection

2. Londor

Londor Guest

Do you have OS9 or OSX in the iBook?

3. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

OS 9.2.2

4. Londor

Londor Guest

Sorry but I have never used OS9 so I can not help you there but make sure that you are using a cross-over ethernet cable if you are connecting both computers directly or a straight through ethernet cable if you are connecting them through a router.

5. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

im using a crossover cable.

the thing is when i configure the ips both computers can see eachother they just wont play nice and share properly

I was thinking about upgrading to OSX do you think that might help to solve my problem?

6. Londor

Londor Guest

Well in OSX it is a piece of cake. You just go to System Preferences and enable "Personal File
    Sharing" (it gives users of other computers access to Public folders on the computer),
    "Windows Sharing" (it lets selected Windows users access shared folders on the computer
    using SMB/CIFS. This will also let Windows users print to shared printers) and turn on
    "Internet Sharing".

If you want to access the other computer from the iBook you just click on Network in the
    Finder and you will see all the computers in your network as long as you have made them
    visible.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2005
  7. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

well i dont suppose you would know how i can burn mac files from pc would you (this would make updating to OSX a whole lot easier) :p

8. Docmajor

Docmajor Guest

the biggest problem with burning files on a PC for a Mac is the fact that the file structure is totally different. See... Mac files have a Resource fork that stores info about the application that created it, who created it and when, windows does not. So from my limited understanding is most windows burners nuke the resource fork into the great abysis.

Now in contrast... Mac's can burn files for windows no problem, in fact I've been doing it for years. But the only reason I could see it would make it easier to upgrade is if you could burn files on the PC for the mac which doesn't exactly sound legal :) especially when OS X only costs about $100.00. in fact I think you can get the family pack of 5 for like $150.00.... Heck of alot less then windows isn't it?

Before you BUY your upgrade I would double check that your current computer can handle the latest operating system. Or go buy a new computer with it pre-installed. :)

Anyway... I'm done now, back to work!