1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with new Media server setup

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by movienut5, Jul 25, 2011.

1. movienut5

movienut5 Member

This will be my hardware setup:
    A media server with win 7 hardwired to router (all my movie files will be here)
    1 Media Server with win 7 hard wired to router (to be configured)
    My main computer with win 7 is hardwired to computer (Movie Collector is presently here with all my movies indexed)
    1 TV with an HTPC with win 7 (wireless)
    1 TV with a PS3 (wireless)

Question:
    1. What will be the best format to rip my dvd's (best quality & playback capability)
    2. How do I see all the dvd info from the tv's and select the movie to watch (hopefully from movie collector)
    3. When I rip the movie to hard drive can movie collector info automatically tie to it or can I get it somewhere else

I want to get this right before I start my setup
    Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give me.

2. xmen67

xmen67 Member

Hi Mvn5,

I think the best option is an AC Ryan Playon HD w 1TB of hdd. (Store and Play) I am using one and basically because it plays multiple codecs. There is much work to be done before, you can enjoy your DVDs on a hdd. Encoding and archiving etc etc.

The best codec (and the smallest amount of space) is using mp4 or m4v. This is the same format if you want it on your iPad. So you don't have to double rip. Most common is xVid mpeg-4 in *.avi container which other players can play. But the *.m4v has metafile info where you can attach a DVD cover.

There is no fully auto DVD "collector", you have to archive it manually. Remember to use folders and place *.srt subtitles files within the same folder for the player to read it.

I use the old traditional Wxid media server with a Snazzi HD cinema player. Now migrated to AC Ryan.

enjoy.

3. movienut5

movienut5 Member

Thanks for the info