1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with NTSC to PAL burning

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by adamski, Jan 14, 2004.

1. adamski

adamski Member

Hello
    Maybe someone can help me out.
    I am currently using Pinnacle Studio 8 to capture
    edit, and burn my home movies to DVD. However I have one problem...i want to send these DVD's to family
    in Europe, therefore i need a software that can burn
    DVD's in PAL, the European standard. Is there any
    software that can do this?
    Or perhaps, the long way would be to burn to NTSC and
    then reburn to PAL. Help me please!!
    adamski

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

It has Nothing to do with Burning them in Pal it has more to do with Createing DVD Compliant Pal Files...Any Good DVD authoring program has the option to Either author in Pal or NTSC Mode But your source files have to be Pal also and if you are captureing from NTSC Sources Like a NTSC VHS/VCR or NTSC Camcorder or even NTSC TV Shows you can"t Just simply Capture them useing Pal settings or encode Captured NTSC files to Pal with Studio 8, well you can Try but it will not look right cuz you would get really Jumpy playback and other artifacts....What I would Recomend you do is Capture your NTSC Files and edit them and render the Project as a NTSC DV AVI file...Now after you have the NTSC DV AVI file you use a program like "Advanced DV NTSC/Pal converter" or the "Canopus Format Converter" and there are a Couple others a couple are freeware ,these Programs are made to convert NTSC and Pal Formats But only with DV AVI files but luckilly there is Little or No Quality Loss, after you have converted the NTSC DV AVI file to a Pal DV AVI file you have to use a Good Quality Mpeg encoder to encode the Pal DV AVI file to DVD Compliant Pal Mpeg2..I suppose you could load the Pal file back into Studio 8 to encode it to Mpeg2 But Studio 8 is Not known as haveing a good quality mpeg encoder..Something like Tmpgenc or MainConcept Encoder would be a Good choise to encode the File to Pal Mpeg2 for DVD ,then you can use Pretty much any DVD authoring Program to Burn it as a Pal DVD ,Something as simple as "Tmpgenc DVD author"(Differant from the encoder) will allow you to create a Pal DVD, If you Plan on doing this method and Can not find one of thise Pal/NTSC DV AVI converters then message me with your e-mail address cuz I know they are hard to find but I think I have the Freeware version of the Canopus Dv Format Converter...Good Luck

3. adamski

adamski Member

Thank you very much.
    I will try and let you know if it works out.
    I appreciate the help.

4. Dwayno

Dwayno Member

Hi Minion,
    Does it matter whether you convert an NTSC movie to PAL to play in Europe?
    I understand that PAL is the European standard, but certain xvid films I have encoded, which were already in NTSC format play very well in my DVD player. Does it just mean that my DVD player is compatible with both formats? Or is it a different kettle of fish where DV capturing is concerned?

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

What I"m saying is that with most encoders if you encode a NTSC AVI File to a Pal Mpeg file the Resulting File can have Flaws in it, Like a Slight Jumpy effect every second or so ,a Lot of Poeple don"t even notice it cuz sometimes it isn"t noticeable unless there is a wide Panning shot or if there is a Lot of action in the Scene..It is Less noticeable going from NTSC 23.976fps to and From Pal 25fps but it is Very noticeable going to and from NTSC 29.976fps/30fps and Pal 25fps..Most encoders Just drop frames or Duplicate frames to make up a new Frame rate and this is what causes the Jumpy effect ,as you are seeing either Missing frames so the Video isn"t smooth or you are seeing a bunch of frames that have been duplicated which isn"t very smooth looking either ,Proper Frame rate conversions involve makeing New Frames by takeing fields from other Frames and interpolateing them to make up a new frame to make up for the Frame rate, Or will drop frames to make up the Frame rate buy only dropping frames that are Inentical ,There is also a Method that they use to Create Pal Video out of NTSC Film Video and that is Simply Speeding up 23.976fps NTSC Film to 25fps Pal, this method looks best but can only be used to go too and from 23.97fps and 25fps...For DV AVI format Files you are lucky because there are Program that are especially made to convert NTSC/Pal DV AVI files and because you are working in DV Format there is Virtualy No Loss of quality converting useing these Programs but they only work with DV Format AVI files and Quicktime DV Files...Cheers

6. PIERRA

PIERRA Guest

HELL0 ,I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO BURN A DVD YET SINCE BUYING IT 2 WEEKS AGO SONY DRU-510AK. I FEEL I'm NEARLY THERE.SO FAR I HAVE TAKEN AN AVI FILE USED THE TMPGENC TO CONVERT AVI TO MPG1.SELECTED PAL 25 FPS ON SELECT FORMAT.THEN USED TMPGENC DVD AUTHOR TO CONVERT TO VOB.WHEN THE WRITING TOOL APPEARS I BEGIN TO WRITE DVD, BUT AS IT'S WRITING ERROR APPEARS"INVALID UNIT NUMBER".THEN THE DISC EJECTS.THIS HAS HAPPENED SEVERAL TIMES.WHAT I'M I DOING WRONG .PLEASE HELP ME.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Stop High Jacking other Poeples Threads..If you have a Problem then Post it ,Dont Post it on someone elses Thread....

8. beaters

beaters Member

I have the same problem essentially. I have NTSC type MPEG2 files that need to be outputted finally as PAL DVD. I've converted files to PAL MPEG2 using TMPEnc. Now I'm left with the problem of rendering the PAL MPEG2 into a European-compatible DVD. Would I really be better off going back and rendering to AVI format and then converting to MPEG2 from there? Either way the next question is what to use to render the PAL MPEG2 into a PAL DVD. Just FYI, I'm using a Windoze XP system, plenty of RAM, and a Pioneer A106. For garden variety NTSC work I use Studio 8 as well, but it flat out tells me it don' allow no PAL format stuff. If I pony up the cash for TMPEnc Authoring, does it do a decent job of converting the MPEGs into PAL formatted .VOB files and so on?
    Thanks for the hints already provided.

9. Nipeez

Nipeez Member

First time I'm using this so I hope I'm following protocol. From what I understand from Minion's comments I can take an NTSC AVI file, use a format conversion program to create PAL compatible AVI files, and then use a program like Roxio's DVD builder to create a PAL DVD for use in France. I only need a conversion program for one use. Any idea where I can get it as freeware?

Thanks