1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with playing HD DVD

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by solamax, Jul 22, 2009.

1. solamax

solamax Member

I have a LG GGWH20L drive that supports BR and HD DVD disc. I am using Powerdvd 9 ultra and can only play BR disc. It tells me I have no dvd in drive when I put in a HD DVD disc. I try Powerdvd 7.3 and it keeps wanting me to upgrade, when I click no, it still does not read the disc. Is there a software that plays HD DVD? My system is a AMD X4 955BE with 4 gb ram, ATI 4890 videocard, 7.1 soundcard. I also try explorer to see if there is anything in the drive and it shows nothing with BR nad HD DVD disc. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

2. qwert99

qwert99 Regular member

I don't have an answer for you, but try PowerDVD 8. In my HTPC it has been the version that has always worked for me, and I've tried all of the versions.

By the way, it's normal for the drive to not display its contents in Explorer. My bluray drive never displays BDR content, either.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Power DVD 8 and 9 both have HD DVD format support removed.

I had the same issue, unfortunatley you'll need to install the version that comes on the CD with the drive, then run HD DVD movies with that, and all other with the Version 9.

Another problem is that most newer BR movies won't play in version 7, all you get is blocked garbled screen.

Cyberlink decided that as HD had lost the format war, it wouldn't bother to support it anymore.

There is a patch out for a particular version 8, but when I tried it, it didn't work.

I happily have both installed on my HTPC, and set v9 as default, its then only with the HD DVD movies I have to select the older version to play the film.

4. solamax

solamax Member

I tried the patch for version 8 and it didn't work for me either when trying to run the .ax file (last step). The thing that sucks is that I bought a oem version not retail, so now I have to find a cd. Bummer

5. qwert99

qwert99 Regular member

I have to use version 8 to get it to even work with bluray. It can be pretty finnicky.

Have you tried removing copy protection from the HD DVD using AnyDVD? HDCP can cause a lot of problems, too.

6. solamax

solamax Member

Does it mean I have to RIP it? I just want to be able to put my HD DVD in my drive and play it. I am not interest in making back up, etc.

7. qwert99

qwert99 Regular member

No, you don't have to rip it. AnyDVD just runs silently in the background and removes all copy protection/HDCP protection from the disc. It's a really great program.

There is a trial version, I think. Or you can buy it for pretty cheap and get lifetime upgrades/support. Or there are cracks out there.

8. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

If by it being helpful you mean 'anydvd'.

Then it doesn't help with DVD playback, only advantage is it will remove any copy protection, and as such allow you to rip the film to a HDD for playback from there, that's what I do, so all my films are accessable without having to retrieve the disks every time.

BD disks can also have the HDCP removed, which enables playback without limitation of hardware compliance.

I've already filled up 2 x 1TB drives, thats the only downside, but then I'm selective of what I want available to play instantly, otherwise it would have been 4-5 drives filled up.

10. EIZOER

EIZOER Member

If you just installed the disc, there is an earlier patch (17something, the later one removes hddvd) for 7.3 that lets you play more blu-rays and The Frightners hddvd with 5.1 sound. I couldn't get it directly and had to google for the right cyberlink page.

Hope this helps.

11. usherMK

usherMK Member

I have no idea about what defference they have, but I TRUST Google only...

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

What are you trying to say?

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

maybe a wannabe spammer as 2 other posts of his are not helpful posts.

14. JoshuaG

JoshuaG Member

Well have you tried to play with VLC player latest version or Windows Media player Classic latest version. I had never played any but I think it will work.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  15. JohnRocks

JohnRocks Member

I am also in same situation, I have problem in my cyberlink 7.3 and running HD DVD movies. whenever you get its solution, please assist me. Thanks

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I personally dropped PowerDVD after version 7 when I heard that HD DVD was being dropped and picked up ArcSofts Total Media Theater Platinum which no only still plays HD DVD. There is a guide available for re-enabling HD DVD playback in PowerDVD 8 that seems pretty simple and clear.

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/PowerDVD_8_Ultra_Enable_HD_DVD_page1.html