1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with .rar to .iso.

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by BSteven, Apr 22, 2008.

1. BSteven

BSteven Member

OK, don't ask me how it happened because frankly, I don't know. I have a game in a split compressed archive (.r01, r02 et cetera) but I accidentally ruined the whole thing. The .rar files numbered consecutively, somehow became renamed so that I lost track of which file extension corresponded with what file. Now I have a bunch of .rar files and I have no idea which one is .r01 and .r02. I can extract them individually though, so maybe I can work with that.

What I want to know is, is there someway to recover the damage? Can I somehow find out which file is which or can I extract them individually and combine them? Please help.

2. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

If you downloaded them in order, you may be able to number them accordingly. Look at the properties of each file, (right click on each file, then left click the properties selection), write down the date and time created, then number the earliest as 1, then the next as 2, and so on. All I can think of at this point. How many files do you have?

3. BSteven

BSteven Member

No, I already thought of that, but they weren't downloaded in order. There are 68 files. I've managed to get the first 11 in order. When extracting with winrar, it stops when it gets to a file not in the correct order, so I have been going through with trial and error until the file works. The first 11 were easy, they were shuffled together, but the 12th one is taking a while to find, and after every new .rar put in the correct order, the longer the extractor takes to tell me which one is wrong in the order. At this rate, I wont have it done for a week or two.

4. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Ouch, just when I thought it would be easy to figure out, let me guess, all the files are the same size?
    If not find out the size of the 12th one and match it with what you already have.

5. BSteven

BSteven Member

Yeah, they all seem identical. I was hoping there was some sort of underlying code that dictates what order to extract, but no success so far.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  6. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

1.) Open WinRar (don't open an archive, just open winrar)
    2.) Use winrar to browse to where you have the rar files.
    3.) Select a RAR & press ALT+I on the keyboard.
    4.) A menu will open. At the top, in bold you will see "RAR volume (number *)"

7. varnull

varnull Guest

^^ nicely nicely.. new information :)

How about just selecting all then unpacking to the same folder allowing overwrite when prompted?