1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with reclaiming damaged data on DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by TeeGee, Feb 2, 2003.

1. TeeGee

TeeGee Guest

One of my discs has a small patch of the writing surface which looks like it has a small greasy stain on it. It's only about a few millimetres across but the dvd judders when it gets to that part. We have to jump to the next chapter.

DVD Decrypter and Smartripper have failed to access the data. Is there any other software out there that might reclaim it??

Help would be appreciated

2. SpannerBr

SpannerBr Member

I have come across similar problems in the past. I haven't as yet found anything that will read a disc once it is damaged. Actually retrieving the data for that part of the disc i assume is impossible as the stained area is completely destroyed.

Its worth checking the bottom of your discs before burning as some discs have these patches fresh from the factory!

This article is quite interesting too (might be related) -
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/01/31/1043804519345.html

3. TeeGee

TeeGee Guest

Thanks,

You're right - I can't find anything to reclaim the data. Luckily it plays OK once you skip past the duff bit. Even luckier - it's on one of the enemy's discs!!!!