1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with ripping

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bloodbath, Jan 19, 2004.

1. bloodbath

bloodbath Member

I have a small problem when ripping with Poikosoft's Easy CD-DA . Everything rips as it should, but when I play the music, I have problems. The first song plays fine, but all others don't play and the 1st song starts to play again (the following song still shows that it's playing however). I'm using QCD Player, but have also tried using Windows Media Player with the same results. The players are not set up to repeat the individual song. I've used previous versions (which I have gotten rid of - stupid me) and have run into this problem just recently. I can't seem to find any other program which offers the same ripping speed with equal number of options and functions. Any suggestions for other programs? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all who respond.

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

I know some free ripping programs, most of them with a huge number of options and functions:
    Exact Audio Copy
    CDEx
    Audiograbber (now freeware AFAIK)
    foobar2000 (with plugins)

I use Exact Audio Copy (secure mode) because for me quality is more important than speed, but in "Burst Mode" it should be just as fast as any other audio extaction program. Besides this unique security, all programs I mentioned do what I expect from rippers:
    - Extract tracks from CD
    - Compress to my audio format of choice automatically
    - Name + Tag the files the way I want them

If you tell what options and functions you need additionally to that, I can probably give you a better recommendation.

3. bloodbath

bloodbath Member

Thanks for responding. I guess what I really want in a program is speed and quality (which usually do not mix it seems). I also would like to be able to upload/download to the CDDB, freedb, or such. Also, being able to rip to other formats other than mp3 would be nice. Also, being able to rip "protected" cds would be something I desire. I know I ask for alot, but it seems that Easy CD-DA had it all. But hey, beggars can't be choosers, and I'm willing to check out any programs you may think might be a good match for me. Thanks again.

4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Exact Audio Copy should do all you want. It's not that easy to set up, but there are good guides like this one: http://www.ping.be/satcp/tutorials.htm
    For speed use burst mode instead of secure mode. If you use lame.exe for encoding have a look at the sticky thread here for what commandline to choose.

Faster compression and better quality than mp3 you'll get with musepack (mpc). There's no hardware player/portable supporting it, though.

With CDex you can do the same basically, it's probably easier to use. About the other programs I mentioned I can't tell for sure as I haven't used them for a long time.