1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP with Sectors

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by gntlmen, Oct 29, 2004.

1. gntlmen

gntlmen Member

I'm fairly new to this, so please be kind. I started decrptying the DVD and after completion, I used DVD Shrink make it fit on the disc. After shrinking, I went back to Decrypter to burn on the DVD and a message came up saying that my Sectors are too big for the disc. I'm totally lost, I haven't read anything about sectors. Any help would be appreciated. Take care

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

gntlmen,

Hmm...so let me get this straight, you ripped with decrypter, then used those files in shrink, and put them on your HD and then tried to burn with decrypter?

It sounds like you didn't compress the files or compress them enuff to fit on your media. What were your steps using shrink?

You are using too many steps anyway, you can open shrink only and it will rip, compress, edit and/or re-author, and automatically open decrypter to burn to the disc. There is no need to open decrypter at all, unless shrink won't rip the disc..

here is a simple shrink guide I wrote, if you follow it exactly you will get a perfect backup,

-open shrink

2-click on open disc, then choose your source video(disc)from your drive/ if you're using files on your HD then click on open files and choose your folder with your source video files.

3-wait for shrink to analyze(about a minute) and the new screen will come up

4-here you can go into extras by clicking on the + mark.

5-You can change compression on each or substitute still image for each until done. Each can be previewed in the preview window below.

5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.

6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.

7-To set up burn w/nero click on edit > preferences > fileI/O > enable burn with nero.

Also here you can go to stream selections and choose english from both drop down menus, this will eliminate foreign audio tracks that can take up quite a bit of space.

You also pick your DVD size here from the drop down menu. You can also choose custom and type in your size(I recommend 4300 to prevent burning to the edge). I would also recommend default for all other settings in the preferences window.

8-hit backup

9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. [bold]If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of nero, choose iso image file and burn with decrypter[/bold]

10-choose your temporary folder/ shrink will create this or you can make one(before you start) and name it and put it where you can find it.

11- under quality settings(I use this if it's over 10% compression,you must make your own choices here, this will take much longer, but is worth every minute!)check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality.

12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking!

I would add that leave menu alone if you want a working menu, and leave movie alone unless there are 2 movie titles, then pick the one you want(fullscreen or widescreen)and substitute a still image for the other one.

I would also like to add you need good quality media to burn your movies. You can get "branded" Ritek G04 or 05 -R or Ritek Ridata 4x +R at Meritline for under .50 each w/free shipping. This is EXTREMELY important, it's not just quality issues, it's a matter of your DVD working at all, OK? Make sure they are BRANDED.

Get them here:

http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/ritek-g04-dvd-r-dvde-blank-media-disc-discs.html

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

One other thing I forgot to add, make sure you are using Shrink 3.2 :>)