1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with softmod.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by eiffel65, Mar 7, 2007.

1. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

I need help with my modded xbox. A few days ago, I modded my xbox with a softmod with the "Linux Installer", using my Action Replay. I used the one with Splinter Cell. I, at first, installed the Evo-X dashboard, then switched to UnleashX because I heard it was better, plus I had to clean out my HDD, and accidently deleted the Linux Installer, because I thought that I didn't need it anymore. But, then I had to switch back to Evo-X because I was having problems with the FTP part of the dashboard, hoping that it would help me fix my problems by using the dashboard, so I took the save back on my memory card and installed Evo-X...after a few hours, it was working fine, and somehow, the save on my HDD was deleted, then I rebooted my xbox. After that, it gave me the Service Required screen and the LED light started blinking red and green. There was also a number 13 at the top left. Can someone help me out?

2. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Sorry for double-posting, but can the moderators move this to the Softmod Discussion?

3. steimy

steimy Active member

13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

The error it gives is because of the incompatibility between the (older) dashboard (4920) that older slayer cd installs and the new dashboard/kernel versions found in some new xbox's and found in xbox's that have been connected to xbox live (when you go on xbox-live, it'll upgrade your dashboard file to i believe it is now 5659.03. This dasboard is incompatible with the dash that (old) slayer cd installs (for example 2.5 or lower) for you.

(In detail, in the eeprom chip there is a kernel which is incompatible with the dashboard (4920) that slayer installs.)

So what do you do to fix it? You can use the dashupdate found on most new xbox games! Be sure to 1st unplug your ethernet cable before you do so!!!

Besides that, just use a good installation disc and all is fine. Use a 2.6 slayer or something similar

4. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Thanks for the help, but I purchased Call of Duty 3 a few days ago, and, well...it doesn't give me a new dashboard, and I want to get rid of the error, it still pops up, but, I am able to play games before the error pops up. I'll try the Slayer's installer thing.

5. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

I saw the PDF file that it came with, and it said that it was never intended for use on a softmodded xbox, which I have, and it will "kill my softmod".
    What do I do, now? Just burn it, run it, and let it kill my softmod? I don't know what to do now.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  6. steimy

steimy Active member

No, if you have a bunch of newer games i would find one that might have the dashboard update option. I have a chiped system so installing a new dashboard is no problem. But depending on where your softmod is stores using slayer to over write the current dashboard could cause problems.

7. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

So, you are saying that, for example, I put my softmod in the E drive, I could still use it by installing it in the C drive?
    Would Splinter Cell 1 or Halo 2 work?

8. steimy

steimy Active member

Slayer says that for a reason i am sure. Like if the softmod is part of the dashboard, and you over write the dashboard it is gone.
    This and other reasons are why i tell everyone to get a mod chip. You could have solved the problem in about 2 minutes with Slayer.

9. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

I would get a mod chip, but I don't feel like opening up my xbox, cause I could screw up something, I'm not that good with tools. And, just put in Splinter Cell AND Halo 2, shoot, I put in all my games! Nothin' worked. I'll make an attempt at SlaYer's installer.

Edit: Just now, I put the Auto-Installer on a DVD-R and popped it in my xbox, but it won't read from it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007