1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with VHS -- DVD copying setup

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Sako73, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Sako73

Sako73 Member

Hello, I'm sure that a good deal of this question has been answered before, but many of the solutions I found did not address the specifics of my situation.

What I am trying to do is to transfer VHS tapes that I own to DVDs that will play in normal players. I own all the tapes that I am copying, and am only going to use them for private use.

My setup:
    - Powerful PC with large HD (assume no restrictions)
    - ATI Radeon 9700 PRO All-In-Wonder video card
    - Lite-On 8x DVD-/+ RW drive
    - Pinnacle Studio 8 (came with card)
    - VideoStudio (came with card, haven't used)
    - Nero Software that came with the Lite-On drive (NeroVision Express 2, etc...)
    - DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink
    - Creative Audigy 2 Soundblaster Sound card
    - Windows 2000 operating system

Currently, I capture the video (and Audio) through my ATI card in Pinnacle Studio, then burn directly to a disk.

I tried to capture with NeroVision Express 2, but when I got sound, it had a bad echo that I didn't know how to fix.

Using the above process, transfering 1 VHS tape takes about 5 hours or so.

Can anyone suggest how I could do this process better (shorter time, better quality, fewer manual steps so I could just set it up to run at night, etc...)?

Thank you for your help.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sako73,

Generally you have to render your VHS files prior to burning if you want them to work on a DVD standalone.

If you don't like NeroVision, try TMPGEnc to get to MPEG DVD compliant, then run it through TMPGEnc DVD Author and burn to disc. You then should be good to go -

If that seems like too much work try dvd Santa.
    http://www.dvdsanta.com/features.htm

Rendering takes time no matter what your super PC is - When you're processing your files, don't attempt to use your PC for anything else or you times will increase. Do it at night while you sleep :)

Cheers,

Pete

3. Sako73

Sako73 Member

Thank you.

My mistake in wording, I use Pinnacle studio to do the rendering. It then does the burn also.

I am not trying to brag about my PC by the way, just to answer the questions about having enough RAM or processor power, etc...

It's not that I don't like NeroVision, it is just that I get an echo on the sound when I try to capture through it.

Do you (or anyone) have any ideas that could make the process better as far as the quality of the video, better software, etc...?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  4. Sako73

Sako73 Member

Are there any overview guides around that would give a newb an idea of how this whole process works (i.e. what is redering, what are the common DVD formats, what is required for a DVD to play, etc...)?

I like to learn at least a little about what I am doing.

Thanks.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sako73,

You just need to do some reading. read through the forums, I did for more than 6 months before I posted anything -

I can start you off with an excellent link about media - it's a very important part of what we do -

Start at the top and just work on DVD Video type of stuff -

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.10

By far, the most I ever learned came from reading these forums and then trying things at home :)

I hope you have a better PC than this old thing I'm using - if not then you might want to re-think your position of keeping it's specs a secret -

Another thing - You might want to give dvd Santa a go - I haven't had a problem with the sound with that -

http://www.dvdsanta.com/features.htm

Their trial version is full function but leaves a mark on the burned disc when you're done. I suggest that you consider using RW media until you have the hang of things :D)

Let me know how dvd Santa works for you. It's a 1 step transcoder so you can let it simmer overnight -

Pete

6. kyrainman

kyrainman Guest

I have tried Pinnacle Studio 8 and 9. Both versions crash alot. I stopped using it a few months ago in favor of the new Ulead VideoStudio 8. I use it to capture, edit, and burn. I works much better than Pinnacle Studio and it never crashes. I used it to create DVD of old Home videos from a VHS camcorder. I also use it to capture from a JVC digital camcorder.
    Hope this helps. BTW. To render a full DVD worth of video [bold] does [/bold]take about 5 hours. That's normal.