1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with video size

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by ajaround, Feb 19, 2004.

1. ajaround

ajaround Member

I am using TMPGEnc to encode. Everything is fine, except, I cant seem to get the screen size right. It looks fine before I encode ( Letterbox), but after im finished encoding, the video looks squashed a bit and the peoples faces look longer. When I play it on my DVD player, with my TV, it still looks squashed. Can some tell me the best screen size to set TMPGEnc to before I encode. Thanks

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

This would depend on the Resolution and Aspect Ratio of your AVI file and what you were encodeing the File too...If you Post the Resolution of the AVI file in Question and what you are encodeing it to (EG: VCD/SVCD/DVD/Pal/NTSC) then I can tell you the Correct setting to use...Cheers

3. ajaround

ajaround Member

The AVI resolution is width:640 height : 272 and I am encoding to svcd.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

OK...Since SVCD"s have a Square Picture the Movie is going to look very Widescreen if you want to keep the aspect ratio...In Tmpgenc go to "Setting" to the "Advanced" tab and were it says "Video Arrange Method" set it to "Center(Custom Size)" and then set the Custom size to "480+208" ...Now when you encode the File and watch it on your DVD Player it will Look the same as the Original accept there will be a Widescreen Boarder arround the Image but the Picture will not be Stretched and the Poeple will not look Really Tall and skinny......Well good Luck

PS: to Figure out what setting you use when you set the "Center(Custom Size)" setting you need to get an Aspect Ratio Calculator, This will tell you the Correct resolution so your File stays in the same aspect ratio as the Source File....

5. Jay66

Jay66 Member

I was having the same problem (stretched images) trying to take a 640x272 DivX AVI and burn it onto a DVD. I tried using Center(Custom Size) of 720x306, since TMPGEnc (when doing the MPEG-2 encoding) had 720x576 as the output resolution. The resulting DVD files (after using IFOEdit) play fine off my hard drive using PowerDVD, but won't play on my DVD player. Two questions

1. Could this be because of the resolution I specified?

2. I will try 480x208. Where did the number 480 come from?

Thanks!

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Instructions I gave "ajaround" were Instructions for SVCD Not DVD and that is were the "480" Came From because that is the Vertical and Horizontal Resolution of NTSC SVCD, This will not work for DVD..
    The Resolution you specified was a Pal resolution so I hope you are Trying to make a Pal DVD...Secondly the Source AVI file was Probably NTSC and you can not Encode a NTSC AVI file to Pal useing Tmpgenc because it does not do Proper Frame Rate conversions...
    For the File you are encodeing you should set the "Center Custom Size" to 720+304 and the Resolution you set to whatever your source Files specs are depending on if it is a Pal or NTSC file and if it is a NTSC file and you Live in a Pal country then you will have to learn how to do a proper NTSC to Pal conversion which is a Bit advanced if you have never done it before.....Good Luck