1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!! - Xvid to SVCD - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by joninio, Jan 10, 2003.

1. joninio

joninio Guest

I am trying to convert some DivX Screeners to SVCD, and I am getting loads of error messages, like 'EAccess Violation' and when they do convert, I play them back and the audio is out of sync. Does anyone know why?
    Is it unavoidable. I've tried every programme under the sun such as Vdub, AVI Converter, TMPGenc, Xing the lot. But I still cannot find one to work. I've gone bald in the last 2 weeks, pulling my hair out. The ones that don't work seem to Xvids. I can't even convert them back to AVI, but that doesn't work either. HELP!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE???????????

2. bang

bang Member

Not enough detail. If there are access violations, then it might be your harddisk.

3. joninio

joninio Guest

Well I downloaded Chamber of Secrets DivX Screener. The divx version maintains the video - audio sync, no problem. Obviously you can't convert it to SVCD with a 480000 sample rate so you have to convert it to 410000. Everytime I do this it loses its audio sync. there is a few errors on the original where the screen goes white and then translucent and its at this point that the sync fails. It's other films that have had the error messages. I may wipe my hard drive and start again on that issue. I'm trying at the moment to delete the damaged part of the film and then make another avi out of it. Worst thing about it is; the divx picture is excellent and using TMPGenc the conversion to SVCD is excellent. But the audio aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrgggggghhhhhhhh. I'll keep plugging away. But I would like to know if other people are having these problems....

4. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

you can either try the virtual dubmod version and do everything with that or you can use tempgenc and what you do is open the video file, choose to save to wav and either save to a wav or mp3 then go to vdub, open the video file and under audio choose mp3 or wav as your audio source and choose the audio file you save previously as your new audio source not the avi

5. joninio

joninio Guest

I've done that, with Vdub, VdubMod, audio decompressor that comes with avi2vcd program (which by the way works wonders on non-damaged files) everything. I've tried cutting out the damaged bits in vdub, then saving as a new avi, but it won't play in anything after. Media Player keeps saying 'Unsupported file format' Actually, I downloaded 'the Good Girl' yesterday which is Xvid and a screener and that worked fine. So it is all to do with the damaged parts. In that case does anyone know how to split and resave avi.s successfully. I'll start a new thread that moght be better, but all the same reply to this one.

6. joninio

joninio Guest

aS I said I've tried Vdub with direct Stream Copy and it plays but with no sound. BANG! I just shot myself.

7. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

okay, when you are saving the audio file separately you want to use full proccessing for both audio and video. maybe I'm misunderstanding, what are you using the direct stream copy for?

8. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

also, is the audio on the original file damaged?

9. joninio

joninio Guest

i did direct stream copy to keep the audio together in the same file as the video so i could try encoding it with avi2svcd. but i have the same problem as i did with tmpgenc. Just converted Resident Evil and - no probs - why?

10. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

first off, I read this and because I'm tired I might be missing something so I'm going to do this as simple as possible, not because you don't understand or anything but because I may have missed something and I don't want to leave out a detail.

1) what's the difference between the file that doesn't convert right and the resident evil that worked? You can use GSpot to check both files.

2) you say the file is damaged, you mean the audio? You can be very specific on how it is damaged or what is wrong?

3) what files don't work and what are the different problems? Are they all audio out of sync only, or is there something else as well?

4) This is all done in vdubmod. I haven't done this exactly, covnerting divx to svcd but what I do is set both audio and video to full processing and in both set the compression I want. Now for audio I usually convert the audio to 44 and then compression to mp3 at 44 with a kb br of 192 or 128. Now, if it's 48 and you want a 44 mp3 or wav then you have to convert the original to 44. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I wans't aware that you HAVE to change it from 48 to 44, there is a 48 khz sample rate for mp3, but if that's a requirement for svcd then I don't know, you may be right. I usually do full processing instead of direct stream just in case there is something wrong with the audio format maybe it will be okay after it recompresses it, that may sound silly but so far I haven't had problems. Now, like a fool I'll repeat myself again, I'm no expert but when I want to eliminate possible problems I sometimes use only one audio stream and set the second audio stream to nothing if I don't feel like troubleshooting both streams, not sure how exactly it effects things but it might be a consideration.

5) last ditch effort is to get the same movie but from a different source or ripper.

6) you sure you have all the codecs? audio and visual?

11. joninio

joninio Guest

Right, in answer to your points.

1. the only difference was the aspect size and the bitrate.

2. The picture goes white or translucent and then the audio syncs out.

3. All of the audio is out of sync.

4. Tried what you said, word for word, and it still syncs out.

5. Tried downloading different versions and its still the same.

6. I've got all the codecs.

Using Vdubmod are you saying open video file - covert to 441000 - do full processing on both video and audio - no compression and then save as a wav file. Open the wav. - do full processing on video and audio again - resample it with divx on video and resample audio with mpeg3 192? and then save it as a new avi?

Still no good!

What am I doing wrong?????

You have to convert the audio to 4410000 or tmpeg nor cce won't recognize the audio.

But thats where it goes wrong - WHEN I STRIP THE AUDIO.

12. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

1) is it any particular movie?

2)using vdubmod open the avi. go to video choose full processing and choose the divx compression and bitrate. Go to audio, if there are two streams, it will say secondary at the top, go to the secondary and change to no audio or to avi whichever you choose though no audio for the SECOND stream MIGHT produce less problems. On the primary stream, which is what you get automatically from the dropdown menu from the audio selection choose full processing then choose convert and click on the 44 sampling rate. then change the compression to LAME MP3 the bit rate is your choice but make it to cbr.

13. joninio

joninio Guest

There's only one stream. i've downloaded Lame. How do I get vdub to recognise Lame. It doesn't come up in the compression window????

And how do you change it to CBR????

Is it DivX 5.01 I should be using????? The original is Mpeg 4 (DivX 3 Low Motion) But then again so was the movies that have worked ok.

All the rest you have said, I have already done.

Speak soon.

14. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

sorry I didn't reply sooner, but you should be able to just install the lame codec and then it should appear. after that, when you choose audio compression you have a choice of lame or mp3, when you choose either in your choosen sample rate, which in your case I believe is 44khz, you can choose the bitrate, cbr or vbr and stereo or mono. If the lame won't work you can use the mp3 codec, but some say that lame is better. Right now I'm using 5.02 (I think) try to find the latest version if possible from their site.

15. joninio

joninio Guest

I don't know how to make it cbr?

i put lame in the vdubmod folder and it sees it in compression menu. I choose lame, go back in and it defaults to normal mp3.

I have identified that, without doubt, that the films that are working and converting ok are normal mp3 compressions and the ones that are going out of sync are Lame compression. That is the problem I think. Now its just getting the audio to recompress with lame back to 44.1 so TMPGenc will recognize it.

Do I have to stick to original sample rates or anything?????

Thanks for your time.

Joninio

16. joninio

joninio Guest

Don't worry, I've sorted it. I'd like to thank you all for your help - I'd like to - but you didn't - so I won't.

17. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

well, isn't that ungrateful . . .

18. joninio

joninio Guest

Sorry Khisanth - you've been very helpful and you were the only one. Thanks.

19. angel131

angel131 Guest

kOOL, WELL IF YOUVE SORTED IT, AND YOU CAN CONVERT XVID TO SVCD/VCD/DVD/ OR JUST PLAIN AVI, please SHARE YOUR NEWFOUND WEALTH OF INFO WITH US.

Sorry, didn't realize i woz shouting.

I would be very greatful 4 any help in converting XVID to a format that i can eventually run through my home dvd player.

Thanx,
    angel131
    THE DOC