1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help!

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by kinza, Oct 9, 2004.

1. kinza

kinza Regular member

I have a receiver that needs surround sound speakers with 8 ohm, but I only have two ss speakers with 4 ohm. The inputs on the receiver for the front speakers needs 4-8 ohms and I have 2 with 6 ohms. When I only hookup the front speakers it says overload on the receiver.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Front (main) channel speakers should have an 8 ohm rating.
    4 ohms is really too low, and this low impedance will test the quality of your amp.
    An amp must be specifically designed to deliver high current into a low impedance load, and remain stable.
    This increases the cost of the amp.
    Surround-sound amplifiers are traditionally even more wimpy. They prefer speakers with 16 ohm impedance!
    You might be able to run 6 ohm front-channel speakers, using low volumes and low bass (no 'loudness') but it might trip-out if you turn it up.
    4 ohm surround speakers are junk - they're just NFG.
    They make poor speakers for use on any channel (but especially surround channel).
    So try to keep at least 8 ohms on your main front channel - the higher the better, maybe 6 ohm could work, I dunno.
    Surround sound speakers need to be higher-impedance than fronts, not lower; however they can be physically small as bass is not as important.
    You could connect two pairs of 6 ohm speakers, in series, to your surround channel.
    This will present a 12 ohm load to the little surround amplifier, and allow it to function :)
    Regards