1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help!!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by soxbox, Oct 11, 2004.

1. soxbox

soxbox Guest

Hi! I just bought a Sony Dual Layer DRU-700A DVD burner. I was so naive to think I could just pop in my DVD's and burn away. I have read almost all of the comments on the last 14 pages. I have downloaded DVD Shrink as well as Decrytper and I also have Nero. I followed ScubaPete's instructions on how to burn using Shrink and Nero. I get going just fine, except when I hit backup and it starts it says 400 HOURS remaining... I have read that it should say no more than 3 hours. My media is Sony 4x, and my Burner is capable of up to 8x. I tried to fiddle with the Device Manager, but did not really know what I was doing but everything seemed to be set to DMA, not PIO. Please help. I just shelled out $50 on the dvd's... but the thought of taking 400 hours to burn one dvd is just crazy. Thank you so so so much for your help. I am going crazy!!!

Lauren

ps. i am using 2 drives as well....

2. catahoula

catahoula Member

hi lauren, it might be that you have a slow processor... or that youve got a lot of stuff also running.

close all other processes you dont NEED, stop surfing ;) and see if it gets faster... if its not that noticable, then post your comp specs here (just right click on my computer and select properties) and someone (else!) will be able to tell you if thats the problem...

good luck!

3. soxbox

soxbox Guest

Hi! Thanks... I tried not running anything else with no change in anything. Here are my computer specs...
    Compaq AMD Athlon Processor 1.20Ghz, 248 MB of RAM. I am running Windows XP. Thanks a bunch again. I would be happy even if I could get it down to like 5-8 hours so I could just burn a DVD before I go to bed. Thanks!!!
    Lauren

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I would seriously recommend more RAM. 512 seems to be the minimum recommended around here.
    Sometimes I've had shrink start off with a really high number and then drop quickly in the first couple minutes.

Also make sure there is nothing else running on your system. With your RAM you need all you have so no other programs should be running...internet, anti-virus, spyware tools, shut all of them down.

EDIT- I should reread bofore I reply
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Presario..Athlon 2.16Ghz..512MB RAM..140G HD..HP 300n
    Man who walk with hands in pocket, look crazy, but feel nuts[/small]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Hi lauren,

you might be able to cut some time if you actually copy the movie to your hard drive first and then re uthor it using shrink.As it will be on your hard drive it doesnt have to read the disc which will save time.

A small suggestion would be to maybe do an upgrade on your pc like zippyd suggests.Maybe a gigabyte mother board / 512 or even 1024 of DDR ram .I run that and i can do a disc in about 30mins from the drive and 10 to 15 mins from the hard drive.

andmerr

6. soxbox

soxbox Guest

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I will take heed and at least try adding some more RAM. As for copying the disk to my HD, exactly how do I go about doing that?

Thanks!

PS: I have gotten the total encoding time down to 6 hours, which is relatively tolerable, however it doesnt burn to the blank dvd directly through Nero as I thought it would... any ideas?

7. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hi lauren ,
    glad to hear that the time is coming down.

O'K to copy it to your hard drive just put the disc in your dvd player/burner and then right click that drive.
    2.When you right click there will be a tab open up,just go down to explore and release your mouse button
    3.There should be 2 folders audio_ts
    video_ts
    4.copy the video_ts folder to your hard drive
    (right click the folder and copy and paste the folder to your hard drive)

5. rename the folder what ever the name of the movie is.

see how you go with this.

8. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Well even I learned something new here. Thanks andmerr. :)

9. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hey zippyd once you get that far, its quite simple to do it again so that you end up with 2 files both video_ts but with different movie names.

You then re author in shrink and will be able to get both movies onto one disc.

Sorry no menus just the movies

have fun

andmerr

10. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Menus? We don't need no stinkin menus.
    I rarely ever copy anything but the main movie of a DVD. I am often puzzled by those who wish to reduce compression and cut out the extras and keep the menus. What's the point? Preference I guess.

Ok back to the ripping from HD. The speed difference is due to the fact that the DVD ROM is locked at 2X and the HD is only limited by your PC specs?

11. andmerr

andmerr Guest

12. zippyd

zippyd Active member

andmerr....

The bottom part of my last post was actually a question. I was making an guess for you to confirm or deny.

13. andmerr

andmerr Guest

14. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Got that one bookmarked already. Someone else recommended it to another member and I bookmarked it for later review. Later just never seems to get here...lol

15. andmerr

andmerr Guest

if i hazard a guess(you may be right) it will depend on the program also your pc stats.My dvd rom is not locked and my burner isnt either.

I noticed of late that shrink burns between 5,000 kps and 13,000 depending on file size, the smaller the file the bigger the the burn speed

you might like to research it a bit over at club shrink(sorry the shrink forum)

16. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I pm'd Nephilim for his opinion. But I think he's gone for the night.

17. andmerr

andmerr Guest

cool, hey like my new sig gif

18. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Buenos dias :)

Most all factory burners are locked to a 2X read speed for encrypted DVDs so they require a hacked firmware to unlock them. The biggest downfall to this is the second you flash a hacked firmware you lose your warranty :)

The one notable exception is the Plextor series burners. They have a SpeedRead function that works by holding the eject button for three seconds on an empty tray. The light will flash three times green and the tray will eject ready to read a disc at full speed. One cool new feature in the latest DVD Decyrpter is it will automatically enable SpeedRead if your using a Plextor burner.

Here's a link to some tests I did comparing my PX-708A and my Lite-On 166S ROM:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/107206

All said and done for all my ripping chores I'd rather wear out my $30 ROM than my $150 burner :)

19. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hey neph how do you like this ruonini keshsin gif

20. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I like it although she needs to be cutting off someone's arm or head to make it perfect :)