1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP :)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Frazzled, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Frazzled

Frazzled Guest

I am trying to copy a DVD file stored on my hard drive, that is associated with divx, to a DVD-R disc, and I am hitting brick walls! Can some one please explain a detailed process of how I can simply perform this function (and the programs to use) without my having to have a degree in using burning applications? I have tried to understand Nero, Decrypter, Shrink, Clone etc. to no avail - Pro Coder gave me 'a file to large' error message, and I don't know how to compress it, burn it, resulting in being able to play it on my home DVD player...I have a Pentium 4 with lots of memory, so I know it's not the computer I am using - it's a lack of understanding all the programs...I would appreciate any help! Thanks.

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

A Divx file has to be converted to DVD compliant files before you can burn. Since you have Nero,have you tried NVE 3(NeroVisionExpress)? It will allow you you to convert the files(It also converts faster than most of the other file conversion apps), add more than one file, create a custom menu for your compilation so you can navigate your DVD and go to any file you wish, set chapters, compress, and burn to DVD all in one app.

It even has a software remote control with which to preview your work and make sure it works and allows you to make any changes you wish before you burn to disc.

Here is a simple guide for NVE 3 I wrote that may be of some help, if you have any questions just post back:

http://cgi.tripod.com/321ripforum/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=Nero;action=display;num=1094748961

3. Frazzled

Frazzled Guest

Thanks for your response! I am still having problems, though. When I try to add my file I have to select 'All files' because my file doesn't end with .bup, .vob, .ifo. When I find my file and press the add button, I get the message 'No compatible file found', but Nero previews the file alright...The file was downloaded through a P2P program - would that make a difference?

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

It shouldn't make a difference unless the files are corrupted, which happens a lot with P2P files. You should be able to add all the files if Nero shows them. You can add them all at once by holding down the Ctrl ket and clicking on each file. When you go to "all files" then Nero is gonna show all files, that doesn't mean they are valid or compatible files. You need to be able to see the files under "all supported files".

5. Frazzled

Frazzled Guest

Hey...So is there a way to make them 'supported' files? None of the movies I've downloaded are corrupted - interestingly, as I've mentioned, even Nero previews the movies just fine...Is there a program that can turn these files into Nero supported files?
    I really appreciate your help. Bye for now.

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Are you sure you're using NeroVision Express, or are you using Nero Express?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  7. narutard

narutard Member

If you are using Nero Vision The you should able to brun avi codec file (mpeg,divx,xvid...etc) straight into dvd .It'll encode the file into dvd playback (vob) itself.
    If you're Nero Burining the you'll need TMPGEnc to convert the avi to mpeg .Then use IfoEdit to convert mpeg into vob.Lastly burn the vob into dvd video with Nero Burning Rom.

Try to see this link
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm

8. narutard

narutard Member

Oh...forget about this to when i first follow this guide i didn't find any success .Mainly because of the blank media problem.Im using Memorex at first wasted the 25 pack dusc with nothing.then i use tdk dvd-r and successfully burn my first dvd.:)

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Oh man! Wished I had known that. My fault, I shoulda asked ;>(

I can't stress how important quality media is in DVD backup. I can't count the people whose problems I have solved just by changing their media.

It's not just a quality issue as was the mindset in CD burning, or VHS, etc. It is the fact of a burn actually playing or playing properly or even burning. Bad or inconsistent media causes jumping, skipping, freezing, and not playing at all.

I mention inconsistent because a lot of media(especially Memorex) will use different manufacturers and thus different batches will vary in quality even though you're buying the same brand. By using quality media you also eliminate media as a possibility when you do encounter a problem with burning DVD's.

Quality media doesn't mean expensive either. You can get Branded Riteks +R or -R for under .50 each w/free shipping. ALWAYS buy BRANDED media so you know what you are getting.

Also, I never burn movies over 4x and games at only 1x.

I would also suggest getting a little free app called dvdinfopro. Among it's many uses, it will analyze your media and tell you who the manufacturer is. I keep it on my desktop for easy access because it has so many useful features. Anything made by CMC, send it back or return it immediately.

Here is a good reputable company with an excellent return policy and great prices(under .50 each) for DVD media with free shipping:

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html