1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Rob85, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Rob85

Rob85 Guest

i recently got comcast cable hooked up. Im using a netgear ethernet switch to hook up two cpmputers to the same connection. I dont want to share files between the two, i just want to share the connection. My main computers connection works great. but my second computer gives an error saying " little or no connectivity". The computer icon in the lower right hand corner shows connected at 100mbps. any advice or help would be appreciated. thanks

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Get a router. A switch will not clone the mac address. A router will be able to clone the main computers mac address and allow other computers to share the mac address at the same time. Otherwise what happens is that only one computer may be connected. Using a router and a switch you could have multiple computers on a typical dynamic connection at the same time.

If you are running a static connection it is a different story, but most home users do not use a static connection unless they have name servers set up for web hosting.

3. Rob85

Rob85 Guest

thank you for the info.