1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by SkyValor, Jul 13, 2007.

1. SkyValor

SkyValor Member

Yes, it's true, I was unfortunately not intelligable enough in the area of Wireless Routers to get myself a better one. I do, however, own a Belkin 802.11g Wireless USB Router...

All in all it works rather well considering all the bad mouthing I've heard about Belkin company. The problem isn't really getting the Router to work. It was properly installed and set-up by a so called IT Expert, however...

At the bottom right hand side of my computer, when I go into the screen that shows me my Network Connections, from time to time I find the list swamped full of names and connections that were never set up or that I have no idea about... It's become much more frequent nowadays and more and more SSID's keep appearing and connections being established, or so I'm guessing, and the problem lies herein.

Before, when there was only 1 connection that would appear, my own connection, the amount of speed and data received/sent would range pretty evenly, when doing things on the net. For instance, downloading a file or playing an Online game. However, more recently, when these SSID's began to appear, my connection has slowed dramatically, and sometimes to the point where I can't do a damn thing, or I just keep getting cut off from my own connection.

I've searched around but I can't seem to find much help or support from BELKIN or much else from the internet itself. I'm not very good at searching out information on the net... Go figure... So I was wondering if someone could help me?

The only things I've been told were - Those connections come from other routers nearby because the signals are mixing and causing a problem
    and - Someone is stealing your -Bandwidth- and using your internet connection from somewhere else.
    Also, I was told the Router was CLOSED or so and it's been Encrypted with a WEP - Hex Key or something.

If anyone thinks they can help, please do so ASAP!!! This is really getting annoying and I figure sooner or later I won't be able to use my own damn Wireless Router in my own house!

Thanks a bunch.

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

and what does this have to do with dvdr for newbies? also don't wory about the other conections that your router is seeing, unless you are planning on leaching from the unsecured signals, you want to make sure that your conection is Encrypted so no one can leach off your conection, also if you follow the drections that came with the router you should have no problems, you might get better help if you post this in the right fourm like all other topics, good luck, also when you post a thread it is a good idea to pot in the title of you post a little something about what you need help[ with, if you were to read the rules you would know that, most people won't even give you the time of day with the topic of your post,

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007