1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

helpless....4,7 or what ?speed?newbie!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mgregoire, Jan 29, 2005.

1. mgregoire

mgregoire Member

new pc , nero smart start...most dvd s have more than 4,7 rite ?managed to burn films under 4,7 but bigger ones ????nope....using dvd+R dvd s ..correct ?tried overburning with clonedvd2 as well..same result....seems that 4,7 is the most common sold blank dvd s..how does it work .......

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Okay, here's the story. Commercial movie dvd's are typically dual layer (called dvd9 because they hold ~9 G of data). The most common and afforadble consumer writable meda is single layer (called dvd5, where the "5" is just "4.7" rounded). It is possible to get more than 4.7 G (really, 4.3 GB, but that's another story, and industry does a rotten job of representing the difference between G and GB), but only through compressing the data. But too much compression leads to a loss of video quality, and that's what will happen if you try to compress a full dvd9 to dvd5.

So what many of us do is "shrink" with a combination of compression and elimination of unnecessary parts, like copying the movie only and not trailers or extras, and only select audio tracks (like I don't need the Thai audio track).

The most popular program for doing this is probably dvd shrink. The latest Nero comes with Nero Recode, which essentially does the same thing. Roxio Easy DVD Copy can do this as well, but isn't quite as "full featured" as the others. But it is very easy to use, and I use routinely for its ease of use when I don't need the features of the others.

There are several guides here (see the "Guides" tab at the top of the web page?) for copying dvd9's. You might find this one informative:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

It uses dvd shrink to rip, as well as shrink, whereas many of us use dvd decrypter to rip. But it will help explain the shrink process for you using dvd shrink, regardless of how you rip. Also, keep in mind that dvd shrink itself doesn't burn. It will use another program to burn, typically Nero or dvd decrypter. It's just transparent, and many users think that it burns because it will use Nero to burn without asking if it sees it.

Good luck.

3. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Well the first thing to do start reading all the guides,
    here http://www.nero.com/en/Tutorials.html that are applicable to what you want to do with Nero

Next start reading all the guides about DVDshrink ScubaPete writes some great ones Dowload DVDshrink and DVDecrypter the're both free.

I found the easiest way to get thing done, at the start was download a guide print it, and refer to it while I ran the program.

Also get yourself a couple of RW discs'

good luck

gringle.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2005
  4. mgregoire

mgregoire Member

tx for help !!BUT..done with shrink now ,managed to get the size down...then backup..and it burns afterwards ...the dvd though is not readable..neither in pc nore dvd player .....ill give it it one more try and then trhrow the whole lot including pc out of the window !!!come and catch it hehe

5. Gringle

Gringle Guest

If you've followed the guides accurately, it maybe a poor disc problem. What discs' are you using?

gringle