1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hesitations in Nero Burning

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Samson123, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Samson123

Samson123 Member

After I have used DVD Shrink and have my files, I have tried burning on Nero 7 Ultra Edition. I have DVD+ and DVD- but when I check them they all have the small hesitations and pauses in them. True, I'm fairly new at this, but how can I get rid of these pauses and have a smooth playing DVD?
    Marcia

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Burn at 1/2 the rated speed of the media. You can change this in Shrink when you click backup. Click on the burn setting tab to change.

How about the firmware on the drive - up to date?
    In Nero SmartStart go to Tools>Info tab.
    They'll be a tab there for the firmware version.
    You can check the drive manufacturers site or here to see if there is a later one.

Try playing back the disc is the pc - see if there are any pauses there.

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Blank media brand is important as well. I recommend Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim or Sony made in Japan.

Here's a bank media gude from Digitalfaq that's good to go by:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Hi binky!!
    I see you've been busy! Don't forget to breathe, lol.

4. binkie7

Hey fasfrank!
    Dang how did I forget the most important thing - media! Must be old age & the memory loss thing :0)

5. Samson123

Samson123 Member

Sorry! I have tried using Maxell DVD+R, Memorex DVD-R, Sony DVD+R, I even tried a Verbatim DVD+RW. I have a Sony burner DRX-830U, and am using Nero 7 Ultra, the burning rom. I have tried VIDEO_TS files, and also ISO files. Each produces the same breaking up of the picture into little squares at times. I installed a Nero Recode AEC changer v2.0 to change the AEC time, and I also burn at 4x. I use the DVD Shrink 3.2 and then go to Nero to burn with. I am getting so frustrated. I've been the threads looking for help, but haven't run across what I might be needing at this moment.
    Thanks

6. binkie7

The pauses, hesitations and pixels - is this in the pc or is it on the dvd player?

You've tried some decent media there - Sony is usually pretty good along w/ Verbatim. Memorex can be hit or miss since they use several different manufacturers.
    If you're using 16x media I'd bump the burn speed up to 8x. Burning high speed media low is not always optimal.

Here's the latest firmware for the Sony - SS25. Update to that if not up to date.

7. Samson123

Samson123 Member

The pauses, hesitations, and pixels are in the dvd player and pc. The date on the Sony drive is 3/15/07. Do I just download the SS25 and then install it?

8. binkie7

Yep just download and install it. Very easy and I think there an instruction doc too.

Check and see which version you have. In SmartStart go to tools>info tool>drive tab. There's a field there that will list the version you have. You might have the latest.

Hmmm problems in both player and pc - somethings up when burning.
    Doing any multitasking when burning?
    Check and make sure all drives are in DMA mode and not PIO mode.
    Here's a guide.

Maybe fasfrank has some other suggestions too.

9. Samson123

Samson123 Member

I checked the IDE drives. I don't have a secondary listed, just two primary drives. How do I get a secondary drive?

10. binkie7

You may not need one - depends on the pc config and how the drives are connected.
    You can post a screen pic of device manager or Nero InfoTool>configuration tab if you like but your probably fine.

11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I guess I'd just want to verify if the break ups are on the actual video files before you burn.

Rip the movie as usual but select a hdd location like a desktop folder as the target. Open your media player and take a look at the movie in the folder.

If you are using a lot of compression this can cause problems. What compression number are you using?

You may want to do a small "Movie only" backup with little or no compression and take a look at that.
    Just curious about this... You don't mention Recode except for the AEC changer. Have you tried with Recode instead of Shrink?

Nero has a quality checking tool that you should run your copy through. That would give us an idea of how bad it actually is.

StartSmart > Tools > Nero CD-DVD Speed > Disc Quality Tab

Here is an example of a Memorex I copied in 2004:

[​IMG]

See if yours are as bad as this. This movie plays OK!

12. Samson123

Samson123 Member

My movie looked a whole lot worse than that! What compression rate should I be using in DVD Shrink?

13. binkie7

My rule of thumb is 70% or higher (meaning 30% or less compression)

How does it playback from the hard drive? Any hesitations/pixels there?