1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hey Dela, this is a new thread for my audio video sync problem.....

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by john03, Jun 25, 2003.

1. hermi14

hermi14 Member

Hi John. I'm a newbie to this forum, but the reason I came is b/c I have the same problem: when I play my dat file the audio is out of synch with the video. My situation is a little different than yours b/c I created my dat from an AVI of a movie I edited myself in Adobe Premiere 6.0. Then, I encoded and burned a VCD from it using Nero Burning ROM. The audio lags whether it's played from the HD or from the CD. At this very moment I am trying the different approach of encoding it to MPEG using Premiere, and then using Nero just to put it into VCD format.

My impression just from one day or so of surfing is that it's a media player problem, not a file or burning problem. I know that WMP has the issue of lagging audio. Last night I tried RealPlayer One, and it too has the same lag.

Anyway, I would pursue different players rather than messing with your file--I think your file is fine.

I will report back here on my results/discoveries.

Cheers,
    Hermi

2. hermi14

hermi14 Member

Well, I think I was wrong --it's not the player, it's the encoding mechanism in Nero. (I see that da boss has posted a FAQ basically stating the same thing; you should not use Nero to encode but only to burn.) I did the MPEG 1 encoding using Premiere and I don't get the lag anymore; the audio is now in synch. As a side note, the lag was also occurring when I played the VCD in a regular standalone DVD player.

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

My god that was it?? Nero?? geez, thats the first thing I say to everyone, dont use nero to encode use it to burn, hmm wonder why i didnt hear, probably didnt just click with me at all this time!

4. john03

john03 Member

well, I have Nero Express, but never ues it. It created video cds that do not work and if I try to burn an audio cd, it goes through the burning process, but I end up with a blank cd.

5. Dela

You sure you dont have it set to simulate burn??

6. LAZY321

LAZY321 Member

felas

what i do when i have an audio sync problem

i take the whole orginal avi file and extract the audio from it either as an avi file or wav mp3

then with tmpgenc wizard i select the input video and then use the extracted audio to make a complete output file of the orginal avi to .mpg

use another prog to split the mpg

then make a vcd in to parts

7. Dela

I dont do that since it causes more out of sync problems, tmpgenc cant handle 2 different sources sometimes. I find it works better if you set up tooLame as an external encoder and SSRC for external sampling frequency converter!

8. hermi14

hermi14 Member

Well, I spoke to soon. The audio is still out of synch in the mpeg file that I get when I use Adobe Premiere to convert! Nero works fine for burning (copying) audio CDs for me, and it works fine for VCD's except for this problem with the audio lagging on the mpeg file. I bought some DVDs today and am going to try DVD instead of VCD. I still need to decide whose mpeg 2 decoder to purchase, though. Since I'm not supposed to use Nero for encoding mpeg 1 I assume I'm not supposed to use it for mpeg 2, either. But I am buying a house right now and cannot spare the $200 to upgrade my Premiere to Premiere Pro which includes the mpeg 2 encoder.....

9. Dela

Well i dont trust nero for MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 to be honest. ewww eww eww nero encodes ;-) but anyway, TMPGEnc Plus is good but I have a problem, there are a few different problems on this thread so far lol and I have fallen behind while I was sick so I literally have no idea whats going on anymore, so shall we all start over? lol

10. hermi14

hermi14 Member

Well, my problem is that when I use either Nero or Adobe Premiere to encode my avi (which is my own movie edited in Premiere), the audio lags in the mpeg file (the dat file in the case of Nero). It lags whether you read it from the HD, from the CD-R media, or from a DVD player.

The orginal AVI is fine. I'm downloading TMPeg right now....

11. Dela

Good, tell me how u get on with TMPGEnc!

12. hermi14

hermi14 Member

well, it won't even read my file! also, I cannot tell whether the VFPAPI plugin is installed or not. just to make sure, I clicked the URL to download the VFPAPI plugin but that page doesn't exist. Nowhere on their site can I find a link to download the plugin. They have a note that says it is included with the program in version 2.59, but there is no version 2.59 (the one I downloaded is Plus version 2.5).

13. hermi14

hermi14 Member

I'm re-exporting the AVI from Premiere using MS AVI compression rather than MS DV AVI, but I highly doubt this will help. Here's the one thing I found on the topic, which says you have to use Avisynth as an intermediary, god knows why: http://www.abcdv.com/article/articleprint/34/-1/79/ But the link to download Avisynth is broken. Any ideas? At this point I'm considering upgrading to Premiere 6.5 which I can get off ebay for $120, but it's really strange how Adobe does not even have it as an upgrade download anymore--all they currently offer as an upgrade is Premiere Pro, which only works with XP. I guess Adobe is giving up the Mac crowd (since they all use Avid anyway)??? Whatever...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2003
  14. hermi14

hermi14 Member

Yahoo! TmpGENc recognizes the MS AVI file (it did not like the MS DV AVI). I noticed that the MS AVI reflects 'CVDC' (Canopus DV Raptor) as the codec (rather than SVDC which the DV AVI file has).

Now my question is whether to select

4:3 525 line (NTSC) 704x480

as the format. My other option would be

4:3 525 line (NTSC)

Since the original video is 720x480 I'm tempted to use the latter setting.

15. hermi14

hermi14 Member

[bold]Success![/bold]

Thanks so much for recommending TMPGenc. I'm actually using the free version at the moment.

I used the regular NTSC setting and there is no audio lag! I burned it using Nero and tested with WMP 7. Works like a charm.

Now I'm on to DVDs. I need to offload a bunch of DV files of my niece onto DVD.

16. Dela

lol busy night for you man eh? ;-) lol

17. hermi14

hermi14 Member

Actually, that should be "wo-man"--I'm a (38 year-old) girl.

I'm wondering now whether I can get Adobe to fix the mpeg 1 problem for me so I don't have to buy the full version of TMPgenc. I mean, the problem is their software, right? For that matter Nero should work, too (it came bundled with my DVD drive).

I mean, why do we just accept that these programs don't work the way they are supposed to?

18. Dela

lol and I am a man, or call me a boy if u wanna be mean (16) lol!

Adobe might be able to fix the problem for you but not a lot of ppl actually use adobe a lot anymore for encoding. TMPGEnc really is the best, just sometimes you get your hands on avi's or dvd's that have something wrong with them!

A lot of the programs have trouble but of course as i have already said it is quite often the input that is the problem!

19. hestar

hestar Member

I am also having a problem with an avi file that i have converted to a mpeg where the a/v is out of sync. I had to extract the audio from the original avi first so TMPGEnc could recognise it. I know this can cause sync problems but i'm not sure what else to do. I've tried changing the audio timing with Womble MpegVCR but the demo version doesn't seem to support this feature. I would be really grateful if anyone could help!?!?!?!

20. hestar

hestar Member

OK, i have now sorted the problem out. After 8 hours of trying to fix it all i needed was the AC3 codec for TMPGEnc to recognise the audio. So it was the extracting of the sound which made it out of sync. I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem!