1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hhds

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rtrg, Dec 8, 2013.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Please move as needed. How do I use two 40 gig IDE hhds to equal 1 80 gig? I want the two drives to be in series. That is downloads are stored on the first drive until full and then future downloads automatically go to the second hdd. Where and how do I set this up? Details please.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

First question is: Why would you want to use Old, outdated IDE drives and only end up with 80GB of storage and a big hassle to make it work???

You can get IDE to SATA adapters to hook them up. About $25 for a pair:
    Vantec IDE to SATA Converter - Model CB-IS100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232004

In series is another problem. Maybe Raid 0 if your MOBO supports it, and if it don't then the cheapest Raid card is around $150. Raid 0 would give you twice the size and twice the speed of the single drive. Downside is NO redundancy, if you loose one drive, you loose all the data.....

Best Plan: Buy a 500GB SATA drive for about $50 at Newegg. Compared to 80 Gigs of disaster waiting to happen, that's what I would look at.

See my sig. about the electric fences.

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I decided not to go that route. My tower old. I installed EASUS TODO BACK UP for cloning my 40 gig emergency drive to a 160 gig. Should both drives be set to CS? Which drive in what position on the ribbon? Can I put the 160 on the end and the 40 in the middle? In this way I can remove the 40 and leave the 160 in place. Details please.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

depends on the computer & on the ide cables. i usually setup the drives as master & slave. is the 160 gig empty or what & if not empty than is it bootable?

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I decided not to go that route. Instead I am going to clone my only 40 gig emergency drive to two 160s. One to use and one as a spare for a test tower if needed. Loading the OS is too long in time and effort. Which drive goes to what position on the ribbon? Are both set to CS? Can I put the 160 on the end so all I need to do is remove the fourty? Details please.

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

As far as I know, all 80 conductor cables are CS with the master on the end and slave in the middle.

ps set the drives to CS and then where they are placed on the cable is what they are configured for.
    what say ddp?

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

not all ide cables are CS because some have 1 conductor snipped with a resulting hole in that conductor. i always ran master & slave using the drive jumpers.

rtrg, why not use the 40gig as the master clone drive so can use the other 160 for another computer. if i had a 40gig sata instead of a 160gig sata i curently use to clone my 250gig c: hd than i would use the 40.

8. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

those with the snipped conductor are old cables converted to CS cables.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html