1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HHHEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by btortman, Nov 4, 2004.

1. btortman

btortman Member

I have an Optorite 0405 8x DVD-+RW. I rip with DVD shrink and burn with Nero. I've tried Memorex +R 8x, Fujifilm -R, Ritek DVD -R 4x NP07 (Crap), and Verbatim DataLife -R 8x. Everything (except the Ritek) seems to rip and burn just fine. I burn with Nero using the Optorite. Almost every movie DVD5 or DVD9 seems to rip and burn fine except half way to 3/4 way through it starts pixilizing and usually freezes. I play with a Panasonic DVD player which seems to be more sensitive than my xbox. Movies skip and pixilize more with the Panasonic. Movies seem to play fine with Power DVD on my PC. Does this mean that my players just suck or does anyone have an opinion on the optorite? I've tried burning the movies on 8x,4x,and 2.4x, it doesn't seem to matter. Any thoughts?????

2. lannigan

lannigan Regular member

Go to walmart and get a cheapie. Ive had the best luck with dvd-r's using the cheapest player i can find.

Also, Always,I mean always, use RITEK.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi btortman, It looks like you have tried many of the normal suggestions we give to correct your problem. One thing I haven't noticed is if you are sticking labels on your copies. This is another thing that will cause pixelation near the 3/4 to end of movie. Just asking.

Jerry

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Try setting the target size in dvd shrink to 4300 MB and make sure you have the latest firmware for your dvdrw. Steer clear of Memorex. Remove any adware or spyware prior to a rip/burn and defrag hd after 3 or 4 rip/burns. Burn at 2x untill your confident problems are solved. Just some suggestions. Let us know how it goes.

5. btortman

btortman Member

Thanks everyone.

Jerry-I'm eventually putting labels on most of them, but I usually watch them first before putting any labels on them and the ones without labels are doing it just as often as the ones with. Are labels likely to cause drag or something when being played?

Ian, I haven't had one Ritek work from a batch I bought. Nero wouldnt allow me to change the speed from 2.4x when the discs were supposed to be 8x with one. Two failed during burning. And another pixilized right away BAD. I heard mixed things about Ritek but some decent reviews. I just havent had any work yet.

Mort-Thanks for the tips. I dont think I've defragged in awhile. I try to have all programs/anti virus closed and keep the system clean. I have the latest firmware. I'm gonna change the target size.

Everyone-Opinions on why the movies play fine on PC (Power DVD) with no pixilizing/freezing? Is it everyones opinion that all things being equal there is a better chance of better quality burning with slower speeds (2x vs. 4x and 8x)? I'm ok with waiting longer for it to burn if it means a better chance with no additional complications.

Thanks Everyone

6. btortman

btortman Member

Also just wondering what everyone recommends for a quality DVD writer/burner and what media you guys are using.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

b tortman,
    My media of choice is Ricohjpn R01. The best media is Taiyo Yuden. Some good medias are Maxell, Verbatum, and TDK. I have better results with +r media since I have a Lite-on dvdrw and they prefer +r media and I use a bitsetting tool to format +r media to dvd-rom making them as compatable as -r media.

As far as why your backups play fine on your pc and not your stand-alone player, I don't really know how to explain it other than since you use the same dvdrw to write and then read with, there are no compatability issues and it can understand its own language (not a very good description, sorry). This is pretty common and leads me to believe you're problem is media. Sometimes you have to keep experimenting with media untill you find some you dvdrw likes. Check with Optorite and see what media they recommend.

Just to give you one of my experiences. I made a backup on a Ritek G04. It played just fine on my pc but froze and pixelated on my stand-alone dvd player. I used copy disc in nero and copied it to a Ricohjpn. Well to make a long story short, the copy plays perfect on my stand-alone player. Media makes a lot of difference.

8. btortman

btortman Member

Mort-

Thanks alot for the advice. When I play the copied movie on my PC, I actually play it on another DVD ROM. However, it still plays fine on that.

Any advise on where to best purchase Ricohjpn R01 or Taiyo Yuden?

Thanks for everything.
    Any advise helps.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Here is where I buy mine although you've got a 50/50 chance of getting either Ricohjpn or Ritek R03. The Riteks still perform fairly well but I still prefer the Ricohs. Can't beat the price either way. Newegg also has TYs and you can look at Meritline.com. Try doing some googling for the TYs but you probably won't find a better price than Newegg for the Ritek Ridata dvd+rs (Ricohjpn).
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-344&depa=0

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  10. colw

colw Active member

While good quality media is important - I would also avoid the use of labels on your burnt DVD's. Over time they tend to unbalance the disk or overheat due to the glue used. This will invariably lead to playback pixilating and freezing problems.