1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi any one know the best areal and digital box and where to get for new signal coming to Ireland soon thanks soon

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by hicone, Jul 13, 2011.

1. hicone

hicone Member

Hi any one know the best areal and digital box and where to get for new digital signal coming to Ireland soon.Some of these boxes can have free to air channels on them as well i believe . Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. jackoooh

jackoooh Regular member

Hello hicone why not get the basic sky sub for around 22 euros per month ,they will supply box and install sky dish.
    Rte tv3 tg4 all included in basic pack.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  3. hicone

hicone Member

Hi jackooh thanks that is a good idea

4. jackoooh

jackoooh Regular member

Hicone if youre new to sat this is a good starting place later there are other things you can do to expand youre viewing (see a newbies guide to cardsharing by piopat)you will see what i mean.

5. hicone

hicone Member

Thanks once again jackoooh where can i go to get this guide total newbie or can you send a link.

6. jackoooh

jackoooh Regular member

http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f...o_setting_up_a_dm500s_for_cardsharing-846800/

7. cactikid

cactikid Active member

saorview boxes can be single or combo hd and terrestrial only box that carries rte2hd,you wont get it on sat or cable,if you had a sky dish and sat cable free get the hd combo you will get the bbc hd,bbc1 hd, itv1 hd,ch4 hd on sat and you can use internal dtt aerial for dtt channels rte2 hd and others,once off payment.
    it is already running in irl at the moment.

8. corkman

corkman Member

hi cactikid i have free to air via a triax box and sky dish but dont really like the box cause i have to turn it off to get the irish channels and the epg is not great i had the box usb and found it great to see what was programs were coming on during the day, so im thinkin of gettin a combo box with a 7 day epg so i will no whats on during the day, could you recomend one that is any good? and also will i get both free to air and irish channels from haven it connected to the dish or would i need it connected to a dish and antenna?

9. corkman

corkman Member

also whats your take on the dream box, i see you must have it connected to the internet and also sign up for card sharin... seems like alot of hassle? if i was to get it could i do card sharin with my friends and would i be right in saying that one of us would be a payed up member of the provider and that person would then be skimming the card and passin it to there friends? sorry for all the questins and thanks for any help.

10. cactikid

cactikid Active member

combo boxes need a dish and aerial as there are 2 tuners one sat one dtt,i have a triax combo hd and i noticed when i scan they are all on one list including radio but you can move to favorites,only the epg on terrestrial gives me 7 days so they say,on sat now and next bit of a let down.on sat you will get the bbcs and itvs ch4hd,bbc1hd,bbc hd,most boxes need a lan connection even for the epg,not into the c/s thing so cannot advise.but it usually works as one sub=1 box so is not shared.i think mickah has another model called the edison argos i think ,he may offer more info.

11. piopat

piopat Active member

have a read of this thread mate
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f...o_setting_up_a_dm500s_for_cardsharing-846800/

12. cactikid

cactikid Active member

13. corkman

corkman Member

thanks very much cactikid and thanks piopat

14. rubadub12

rubadub12 Member

Hi Cacti-I have a dish and box set up to get fta channels this also shows the rte,tg4 ans tv3 channels incoded.Is there any box that I can get that will show all fta plus the rtes.etc without getting an outdoor aerial?In other words I'm paying upc just to get rte.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  15. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

put a normal terrestrial ariel up or get a motorized dish to pick up rte chans on 9 degrees east. personally i would stick up a basic ariel as this will pick up rte channels

16. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Have a look at the Edison post on here, depending where your based, but I picked up the DTT chans using a fecking coat hanger in the back of an edison box,

17. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i have 2 aerials one in attic pointing to transmitter for all hookups,but for those that have not connected i just use an indoor aerial suitable for saorview.

i bought a triax combo that gives me the terrestrial from the aerial and from the sat bbc and itvs and also get the bbc hd bbc1 hd itv hd and ch4 hd
    triax combo thd 537

18. rubadub12

rubadub12 Member

Thanks for the info guys.I think I'll go with the Triax combo and an indoor aerial like you suggest.Sorry I was late getting back to you.I appreciated your quick replies.

19. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

if your in dublin, you dont need an aerial, a bog standard one will do from powercity, dont splash on a fancy one as it does exactly what a normal one will do, considering i got the DTT chans using an aerial from the 70's.............a metal coat hanger

in the edison duo, this puts all the DTT and Sat chans into one chan line up, so your not switching about either

20. rubadub12

rubadub12 Member

Thanks Mickah.Think I'LL take your advice about the Edison and as I live in Dublin 12 the Kippure mast is directly south of me so an indoor aerial will probably do.Read some not so good reviews of the Triax combo on Boards.ie and the Edison sounds less complicated for a newbie.Thanks again.