1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi-tech discussion on slow DVD ripping speeds

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Pontistv, Aug 21, 2004.

1. forkndave

forkndave Member

There is a hacked firmware for the SOHD-167T at http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html . It works for me.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Soyo KT-600 Ultra Platinum, XP 3000+, 1024 MB PC 3200
    160 GB Maxtor SATA, 60 GB Seagate IDE
    Lite-On LDW 411S@811S, Lite-On SOHD 167T, Pioneer A07
    GF FX 5600 Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  2. forkndave

forkndave Member

Duplicate.
    GF FX 5600 Ultra[/small]

3. forkndave

forkndave Member

Another duplicate.
    GF FX 5600 Ultra[/small]

4. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

Thanks for the firmware link. I was a little overwhelmed with all the different speed firmwares that came with that download. Which one should I use? Is there any reason not to pick the fastest (16R, 16RW, 10DVD-9)?

Also, could you tell me exactly how fast it went for you, and if there are ever any ripping errors?

5. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

Well, I just tried the fastest firmware (16,16,10)from that site, and then ripped a movie. It ripped 13 seconds faster, going from 3.9 to 4.0 average, with the same max of 5.5. I know that DVD-9 only increases from 8X to 10X with this firmware, but shouldn't I have done better than that??

6. forkndave

forkndave Member

I was also a little disapointed with my results. I used to have a 166S and the hacked firmware speeded it up dramatically. It finally quit working and I replaced it with a 167T hoping it would be better. Mine does rip pressed DVDs pretty fast, but a burned one is not nearly as fast. It will go up to about 7X fairly quick and then come back to about 3 or 4X . My old 166S would take a burned DVD and would usually top out at about 14X at the end. This is with DVD Decrypter. My 167T will do a single layer (pressed) in five or six minutes. I really wish I had gotten another 166S instead. My 167T is adequate, but if I want to copy a burned DVD I generally use my Pioneer A07 because it will rip them faster.
    GF FX 5600 Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  7. forkndave

forkndave Member

I haven't noticed any ripping errors, but I imagine that's probably why it slows down so much on the burned DVDs. Decrypter will slow the rip speed to avoid errors. It only shows errors when it actually can't read the disc. I imagine the slowness is Decrypter having to reread a lot of the disc. I know that if I have a disc with a lot of PI and PO errors, it does slow down the reading quite a bit.

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

9. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

I am using the latest version of Decrypter, and the speed read box is checked. I may have spoken a bit soon about the firmware. I tried a few more movies tonite, and here are the results:

Duplex 4:52 Ave 10.6X, Max 15.7X 5.23GB
    Bookies 4:49 Ave 10.6X, Max 15.8X 4.04GB

I know Bookies would be a single pressed disc, and therefore would rip fast without hacked firmware, but Duplex at 5.23GB... wouldn't that have to be a dual-layer disk? Or are pressed single layer factory discs capable of more than 4.37GB? Anyway, at 15.7X that's a lot more than the 10X speed that the dual-layer read is set at according to the firmware.

Im real curious if this Liteon 167T is as good as the 166s I heard everyone praising. Here's a real good question: Why wouldn't Liteon run their drives as fast as the hacked firmware allows to begin with? Does running it a little faster create a longevity problem, or worse yet undetected errors get passed on to the hard drive?

10. forkndave

forkndave Member

I guess the 166 and 167 are fairly equal. My 166 would read burned DVDs faster, but other than that they're about the same. Lite-On probably restricts the speed for mechanical reasons. They have to warranty these things for a year and I guess they don't want to have to replace any. I have also found that sometimes discs that have scartches sometimes can't be read with the hacked firmware. I've had to use a burner to rip with for this reason a few times. My 166 quit working for other reasons. The tray got to where it sometimes needed an assist to close. One day it shut my computer down and the only way I could get the computer back on was to unplug the power connector from the DVD ROM. Obviously a short of some sort. Fortunately most computer power supplies are good at shutting down when one of the outputs is shorted rather than just burning up.
    GF FX 5600 Ultra[/small]

11. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

Well, as I mentioned before this 167T read a disc at 16.6X max once, and 15.8 and 15.7 before that. That's impressive for a single layer pressed disc! But the dual-layer discs (Which are 95% of them out there) just don't usually read very fast. Its kinda disappointing. My Plextor rips them dual layers consistently faster by quite a bit.

Another thing I find very annoying with the 167T is that if I put in blank media, it sits there and tries like heck to read it. And it never stops trying. Very annoying!

12. fragilea

fragilea Member

ok, well... ive been reading lots of posts on lots of forums, so i went w/ the LiteOn 167T. Im using the DVD Decryptor program, and that fastest i can get is 1.7x im working w/ asus as7n8x-e deluxe, 3200+, seageate 80gig 8mb... so i wouldnt think there would be a problem... i did use the hack from the cd freaks link (the 16x 16x 10x file)?? any help?

13. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

I have the same M/B, with a 2700+ chip, no problems. I would check your IDE controllers properties. Under secondary channel, make sure that DMA if available is selected, not PIO only. If that doesn't get it, check your bios to see if there is any similar DMA options to select in there. Although with my A7N8X-E Deluxe board, I don't remember there being any in bios.

I used a similar (or the same?) hack, and picked up a hair of rip speed, but nothing really earth-shattering. Make sure you don't have your DVD-rom on the same channel as your hard drive, or the channel will "take turns" using one drive or the other. I suppose you have adequate ram, with a decent system like that. I think 1GB is really nice, but 512K should do the job just fine.

Also make sure you have the latest decrypter just to be safe, and also make sure the read speed settings haven't been turned down to a slow speed.

Let me know if I can help. You should definitely be able to rip a lot faster than that, and it doesn't sound like the hardware. The DMA thing is most likely the problem.

14. fragilea

fragilea Member

that was in man... thanks a bunch. greatly appreciated, i never thought to check that

15. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

Glad to help. Was it the BIOS or the secondary channel properties? And how fast did it end up ripping with which drive?

16. NoJOB

NoJOB Guest

I have the sony DRU-500a does anyone know where i can get this firmware to speed things up. Thanks

17. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

18. NoJOB

NoJOB Guest

Thanks a lot DLC2000

19. fragilea

fragilea Member

Pontist V -> it was at PIO only... now it rips at avg of 8x

20. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

That's great! I have found most dual-layer movies to rip at around 8-12X, and single layer movies to rip at a peak of 15-16X. Some dual layers are slower though, but rare. Make sure you have all your channels set up to where both drives on any one channel are not used at the same time also. That will ensure max speed.