1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hibernate (S4) With 4GB RAM - XP X64 SP2

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by NuckNFuts, Jan 9, 2008.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Anybody experiencng issues with S3 (Hibernate) mode in XP x64 with 4gb of RAM installed?

I Disabled Memory remap and I get 4gb but no Hibernate TAB is locked out. I enable it and I get Hibernate and 3.37GB RAM.

Now I added the MAXMEM=4096 switch to end of boot file and now I get Hibernate with memory remap enabled or dissabled but if enabled I now get only 3.25gb RAM and if dissabled I get the 3.37gb. I no longer get 4GB rAM.

Not to mention, that my RAM read/write performances are better as 3.37mb with remap disabled. If I endble remap, RAM read/write scores go down by hundreds in Everest 4.20.1201.

What other fixes are known for allowing XP Pro x64 SP2 to see and use 4GB RAM with memory remap disabled or enabled?

Thankx in advance!

2. omnicore

omnicore Member

I choose the better performance numbers over the small amount of missing memory. You probably won't use all 4 gigs of the memory even if it were available to you. If it all does get used up you've probably got an application with a memory leak.

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I chose the 3.37gb too for better timeings and read/write times too. I was just wondering for the learning experience. I did say I got the 4GB just fine but wthout S4 ACPI support. S4 is disabled by Windows at 4GB and over in Server 2003 and XP x64 by defualt. It is said in a manual somewhere that this is able to be tweaked by the switch used and it didn't work for amout, just Hibernate function.

Do I need virtual RAM and page filig anmore if I have this much, or just limit them to less?

4. omnicore

omnicore Member

Windows will still use the page file for somethings, but it probably won't use it much. You also might want to check what the max amount of memory for your motherboard is.

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

the max is 8GB but I only ever used 6GB at one and It is the same. I get 5.37GB but NO S4 in any variety of settings. So this is why I moved back to 4GB. for use of S4 Hibernate.