1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Definition Questions

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by alxdotnet, Oct 5, 2003.

1. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

I'm trying to convince my family to invest in a high-def TV. But from what I understand about video, the TV won't achieve the best picture unless the video is in high definition format. There has to be enough pixels described per frame so that the TV doesn't have to interpolate to fill the screen. Is this an accurate conception? Can S-Video, Composite, or Component video cary a HD signal? Are movies you see in theaters high-definition? Thanks in advance.
    -Alex

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I believe you are correct in thinking that you will only get a HD image if the cable is supplying it. As for the cabling, there shouldnt be a problem.

3. duplos

duplos Member

If you're planning to buy a HD television, then you should buy the new pioneer. It's the pdp434hde. It's (in my opinion) the best HD television of the moment. We have one here at home and it really rocks.
    As for Hd, you only see HD frames when your program is in HD otherwise you don't have the supreme images. As for the pioneer, they've found a good thing for images without HD

4. Praetor

Or you could wait for UHDTV.... imagine that 4000 lines :D

5. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

UHDTV??? When's that supposed to debut and at what *gulp* price?

6. Praetor

7. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Can the human eye even see 4000 lines of resolution? What is the resolution of the eye?

8. Praetor

We may not be able to 'see' it but we certainly can 'percieve' it. :p

9. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Good answer! I wonder what the limit of "perception" really is. (Of course, when they come out with bioelectical extensions that feed video right into your brain, it won't matter what the eye can perceive)

10. Praetor

What is real? :p

11. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

The price tag on that ultra high def TV will be real:)

12. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

I have a HDTV with the OTA antenna.. Personally I wouldn't waste the money on it until it becomes more main stream.. Unless you want to pay exta for the channels and satelite receiver.. Dont get me wrong.. When they actually broadcast something in High def it looks really really nice. But that doesn't happen very often with only 8 channels.

13. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

I live in northwestern Viriginia, and Adelphia my cable company is launching their HD service this fall. They still can't tell which channels will be HD, but I think it will be worth it because of what I've seen (such as Discovery Channel HD, etc.) By the way, how exactly is a non-HD signal displayed on an HDTV? How much better is the quality compared to a regular TV? How worse is the quality versus an actual HD program?

14. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Here in Georgia I think there are 3 or 4 channels on cable. OTA channels have 8 which are free. They want 5 bucks per channel to watch them. I beleive they are SHOWTIME,HBO,HDdiscovery, and ESPNHD.. As far as quality goes it's awsome.. But a regular cable signal looks like crap in my opinion.. It displays it in 480 interlaced mode. Plus if you do decide to get one.. Get one that supports 720p

Matt