1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Definition

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Reelew, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Reelew

Reelew Member

I'm thinking of going to a high def tv will the 3223 record in that maner?

2. CrazCanuk

CrazCanuk Member

To record HD, you would need an HD signal and an HD Recorder, the only one I know of is a Sony and only avaible in Japan at a couple of thousand dollars, not quite the affordable range yet.

The current recorders like the 3223 will only record at 480i. It will playback at 480p.

If you go HD, you might want to look at the HD PVR option that the HD signal provider (satellite or cable) has to offer. You would be able to send the recorded material of the HD PVR to the 3223 but it would only be captured at 480i.

3. Reelew

Reelew Member

Okay, now I understand something about that. The 3223 would record but what would it do on a high definition TV if the res was 1080. Would the picture work at all or just pour quality what could be expected?
    I have Dish Network and they have a recorder built into one of there HD receivers so I can record but it looks like my 3223 is just old history already.

4. CrazCanuk

CrazCanuk Member

Yeah, you would only get up to 480p, less than half the potential of the HD tv. It would look blocky. I suspect this as an issue as to why there's no real market for good recorders at this point, the manufacturers might be waiting on the blueray/HD showdown to end and see where they should go. More and more consumers are going HD tv so the market for HD recorders is just around the corner. Got a cottage, rough it up with a CRT tv and the 3223 !!!

What you could shop for right now is a good upscaling dvd player and watch the RWs from the 3223. Oppo make some of the better ones and are quite affordable, a good option until decently priced HD recorders come out. I have an older Oppo 971(1080i) off a 26" HD (1080i) tv, I use it at the 720p level, quite pleased with it. The newer Oppo line (980 and 981 models) can upscale up to 1080p.

5. Reelew

Reelew Member

Thank you for the information. There's nothing wrong with what I have now. I think I'll wait a few years the prices will come down and the 3223 I can put to rest then, got it for $100.00 anyway and it works great anyway. Why fix something that's not broken.

Thank you.