1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Speed dubbing

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by dmwesq, Feb 16, 2005.

1. dmwesq

dmwesq Member

I am searching for a DVD recorder, preferably a stand-alone unit, that has high-speed dubbing capability. It seems so far that only combo units (and very few of them) have this - am I missing something? Anyone who knows of any units kindly pass it along.

2. marquis64

marquis64 Member

High Speed Dubbing is going to be found in only commercial grade systems. High Speed Copying is probibly what you are asking. The Panasonic E85 has that feature and is high on the list but the best one in my book is the Pioneer 520. Lots of great features and a real solid machine.

3. dmwesq

dmwesq Member

Yes, high speed copying is what I'm after. But I'm also seeking the best recording options - seems +/-R or RW can only hold 2 hours at medium quality (compared to 6 on that dreaded VHS tape) - so I'm not really condensing things the way I had hoped. If I go with the Panasoni that can record on DVD-RAM, I seem to get a lot more room to record on but far fewer machines to play back that very disc on - I guess in the land of DVD you can't yet have your cake and eat it too - at least not at a reasonable cost?

4. shrunkit

shrunkit Member

Pansonics are nice quality DVD recorders but they don't necessarily give you more capacity. The advertised 9.4GB are DOUBLE SIDED (needs flipping)DVDRAMs and the discs are more expensive and hard to come by.

Wait for DL (double layer, don't need physically flipping the DVD) DVD recorders coming out soon (many drives are already DL capable) or use a HD (hard disk) based DVD recorder available now.

5. dmwesq

dmwesq Member

I'll look into the DL units - hard drive doesn't give a permanent solution - I have both a Cablevision DVR and a TiVo unit - but need a way to capture from hard drive to more permanent media (also transportable) without spending hours making transfers.