1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Video Card Temperature

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by HRJustin, Sep 23, 2007.

1. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

hello i have a low end evga 7300gt video card and the stock fan just died on it and now the temps are up to 96 degrees C from around 60 degrees c when the fan was working. i am just wondering if this will be ok to run at this temperature over night since i have a new fan comming and will be delivered tomorrow. i just dont want to fry my video card when im getting a new fan for it tomarrow. the threshold for the temp is 125 C so im hopping that it will be ok at least until i get the new fan and heatsink. i know that gpu's canm take quite a bit of heat but 95 just worries me i just want some advice on if i should use it while its this warm until tomarrow when i get the new fan.

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

DEFINETLY NOT! That card will die REAL SOON if you dont get that fan fixed... I cant believe your system didnt crash yet, if my card gets to 80C then the computer shuts off, so i wonder why you can get to 96C?

But DO NOT keep running that card! My card idles at 39C, but I got watercooling. Without it it usually gets to around 38-50C idle... But yeah, 96C is WAY TO HIGH!

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All graphics cards except the AGP X1950XT can take temperatures of up to 100C fine, probably including that one, but you're very close to the edge, and you should never run a graphics card without the fan. Replace the cooler, or replace the card.

4. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

oh yea i know i oreded a new fan and heatsink but it wont be here till tomarrow since it cant be delievered on the weekend. hopefully the new one will work good it usually idles around 55-60 i got the fan spinning and it making a horrible noise now but its cooling it down some. lol down to around 77 now

5. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

thats still pretty high by my standards... But whatever, its your card :)

6. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

yea ive turned it off for a while now just back to check everything i would have replaced the fan sooner but ups doesn't deliver on weekends so i had to wait till Monday pretty much today. i hope it fits on and everything i didn't really get a to expensive fan and heat sink replacement. ill make it work somehow this think now is just way to hot.

btw i was also wondering is there any harm in removing the video card alot. im just wondering if its bad to take the card in and out of the computer? after i install this new fan and heatsink it should be fine for a while :)