1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HijackThis Log...PC really slow

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by DeadMan45, Apr 30, 2007.

1. DeadMan45

DeadMan45 Member

Thanks scorpNZ, I looked over those links and tweaked anything that applied to me.

My PC is much faster than it was before. Startup was much faster. The only thing left to do regarding startup would be to stop MSN and Objectbar (kind of a resource hog) from opeing on startup. Other than that its great.

General PC usage is also much much faster. Previously, if I opened up Winamp (from the quick launch) the taskbar would freeze a bit, and then it would take maybe a minute until it opens. Now it opens right away. Other things like the control panel also open right away. The only thing that was still slow is Firefox. That still takes forever to open the first time, but once its open I can close Firefox and open it again without waiting.

So, after all of the advice I've listened too, and after all the reg tweaks, etc....the only thing left to do is a HDD and Reg defrag and another virus/spyware scan and then my PC should be very clean. Oh, that reminds me, I've still got to clean the inside of my PC.

Edit: I have a lot of extensions on Firefox, as well as a lot of skins that I never use anymore. Could that slow Firefox's startup? Seeing as how everything else is fast now, I don't see why this should be slow. Maybe I'll try uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  2. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Sounds like things are going well DeadMan45.

I would get rid of extensions you have used in >30 days. You can always re-install them if you need to.

As for themes (if you have any extras) pick the one you like best if you don't like the original and stick with just that one, don't install any other themes.

Good to hear you have things running smooth again.

As for object bar, I would personally ditch it and go with the "Classic" theme (i.e. not flashy at all!) but thats my opinion.

If you want a different look (besides classic or the default XP theme) find one you like that doesn't take much to run. That will help speed things up for sure. If you don't have a major need for a background I replace it (instead of a picture etc.) with a basic color via Display Properties (right click on the desktop, go to Properties and click the "Desktop" tab then select "None" and pick a color you like).

You don't have to do that but it helps a bit.

3. DeadMan45

DeadMan45 Member

Thanks, will do.