1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hiss removal in audio of wmv

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by puppetj, Jul 16, 2007.

1. puppetj

puppetj Member

Ok, i have a wmv file(s) that have bad hiss from vhs tape, dont have tape anymore, now i tried taking the hiss out in soundforge 8 with a filter it worked very well, but if i try to resave i get error about video not installed, (wmv mpeg-4 audio) which i must have it installed otherwise i couldnt play it with audio, anyway that not really important
    because i tried to save as, then choose save as wmv, but it takes hours to do this, and might not even look/play right after this, since i dont think i'am asking it in the same format..dunno...anyway what i'am asking is , is there an application the i can removal this hiss, and just save it out in a quicker way or something to help me out here? i have 50+ of these files...so quicker the better, and free is good to, btw no virutalDUB, never had any luck with it, but if you insist show a guide but it must save it out in playback 100%)

thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

I've used VirtualDub-Mpeg2 on these files to convert them to AVI with few problems.
    If the audio has to be adjusted in the likes of Audacity, I set the Audio to Full Processing Mode then select 'Compression' > 'No Compression PCM' then 'Save WAV' from the file menu.
    Run the file through Audacity then save it as a new WAV.
    Run VDub, 'Audio' > 'No Audio' > then 'Audio', 'WAV Audio' to load the new sound.
    Set Audio compression to match the original and select a compressor for the Video.

The alternative would be to demux the WMV with the likes of Foobar then Audacity, then convert to WMA then remux with Windows Media Encoder Utilities.

3. puppetj

puppetj Member

Is that avi a divx or xvid?? if so i can just do that, they dont have to be wmv, can't i just take wmv and convert it to divx with Vidomi, then try to edit the audio from that, will i get that same video/audio quality??

4. attar

attar Senior member

5. puppetj

puppetj Member

i already have divx codec installed, and i already can makes divx from mpg2, so i dont need lame mp3, right? but taking wmv to divx, isnt that just going compression and already compressed file making it look/sound like crap? and codec in the video of the wmv will be gone from the divx conversion right? so that will take care of that issue? then i can just open open the video file in sound forge 8 then apply filter then and save out?

6. attar

attar Senior member

Convert it and decide.
    I'm not familiar with Soundforge.

7. puppetj

puppetj Member

OK, WELL I CANT GO WMV TO divx, at least that way, dammit all i want is to take the hiss out then save the file, is there another way to do this without vdub? or demux?! what ever that is....ok let focus on this issue at hand, is says the required windows media video codec is not installed, so i use qspot to see what its using says,
    Video: ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder
    Audio: WMAudio Decoder DMO

so what do i do not have to save this out after fixing the hiss???

8. attar

attar Senior member

Run VirtualDub-Mpeg2 and load the video.
    Audio > Full Processing > Compression > No Compression (PCM) > OK.
    File > Save WAV.

Load the WAV file into Audacity or whatever and process, then save the file as a new WAV.

In VDub, Audio > No Audio > WAV Audio, load the new WAV.
    File > Save as AVI.

With the above steps, the clip will have an uncompressed (large) audio part.
    Optionally, after loading the new Wav, compress the audio to mp3 and optionally compress the video to XviD then save as AVI.

9. puppetj

puppetj Member

ok i load new wav, i choose No audio under audio right? so i do, then the "WAV Audio" is not there do i choose "browse" for audio?? if so i did.. choose the new wav made earlier then i goto compression at top under audio and choose MPEG Later-3, if so what stereo auduo option do i pick from there, i have no clue??? and what about the show all formats option? then i choose the video compression, is divx ok instead of xvid?? thanks for helping so much

10. attar

attar Senior member

Load the original file.
    File > File Information and note the audio settings.
    In this case 44100 64 stereo.

The compression settings I chose for the new 'Lame MP3' were 44100, 128 stereo.
    Lame is better than the default MP3.

The original audio gets 'turned off' with the 'No Audio' part, then the new one is loaded with 'Wav Audio'

Select 'Full Processing' 'Compression' and 'Lame MP3' with your chosen settings.
    [​IMG]

11. puppetj

puppetj Member

As i understand everything else There is no "wav audio", just source audio & browse for audio under the audio toolbar, and it's ok to use divx instead of xvid with this audio setup?
    then it should take about the same time as going from mpg2 to divx?

12. attar

attar Senior member

DivX and XviD are interchangeable.

[​IMG]

13. puppetj

puppetj Member

ok i have a new build then you, that why "browse" is there instead of "wav" so i guess that what i use, thanks for all your help!

14. puppetj

puppetj Member

ok, is it suppose to take over 10+ hours on a p4 3.2ht pc with 1.5gb of ram? or i'am doing something wrong, takes mpg2 to divx conversion 2-3 hours tops, if it's going to be this way dunno migfht now be able to do it.

15. attar

attar Senior member

I haven't converted any movie length .wmv files.
    I find that a running time of fifteen minutes takes five minutes to convert to XviD.

16. puppetj

puppetj Member

well then something is wrong, or i need to find another way.

17. puppetj

puppetj Member

ok, so this video is only about hour, should it really take 10+ for this process??

18. attar

attar Senior member

Far too long, but I don't know why.

19. puppetj

puppetj Member

ok, i looked at the log, at noticed it was saying something about livelocked, a couple of times, so i was guessing it freezing some how making it dub longer, so i converted the file in mediacoder to a xvid, then ran the vdub process and it looks great! Thanks for all you help!