1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Hitachi external hard drive is not recognize in my computer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lawe1, Nov 19, 2014.

1. lawe1

lawe1 Member

My external Hitachi hard drive don't show on" my computer "but does in devices and printers? I right click on it for properties and get it's info but nothing else. I'm using windows 7 ultimate 32 bit. I upgraded with in windows 7 and lost it in "my computer" now a blank icon shows up in "my computer" that I can't do anything with it.Help!

2. cactikid

cactikid Active member

did you try a reboot of pc to see if it comes back up,also retry connecting usb to see if its picked up again.

3. lawe1

lawe1 Member

Thank you for the reply...I did do both and it still shows up in devices and printers but not in my computer

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

go into disk management under administrative tools in control panel. see if the drive is there & assign a drive letter like "m" if that drive does not have 1.

5. lawe1

lawe1 Member

Thank You......I went into disk management and it is not there.

6. lawe1

lawe1 Member

Thank you...I finally see it in disk management but it won't let me give it an identity. When I try to do it this is what I get," The operation failed because Disk management console is not up to date so it tells me to refresh console or restart Disk management or restart computer" which I did . Oh! another choice it gives me is (and I choke just thinking of it) format@#$ if it lets me to do it would be the last desperate thing I would do. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

7. ddp

do you have or can get access to another computer to see if still have a problem or not?

8. lawe1

lawe1 Member

Wow! I have another computer and never thought of it...I'll try it!!

9. attar

attar Senior member

Is it USB 3 and are the USB 3 drivers installed.

10. lawe1

lawe1 Member

They are installed...Thank you...The suggestion from the moderator worked and I can excess the hard drive on my desktop which means my laptop since up grading needs work and in any case it is continually giving me up dates so I'll wait and see till it finishes all the downloading of updates ....thank you both from an 81 year old man that loves his computers.

11. ddp

no problem, teach & learn.

12. cactikid

cactikid Active member

well done old timer

13. lawe1

lawe1 Member

Thank You...Up date on trying to use my Hitachi hard drive on my Toshiba laptop instead of my HP desktop (which I'm able to) I finally was able to give it an alphabet and now it is on "my computer" BUT it says I've got to format it before I can use it. Naturally I don't want to do that with all my info on it. Is there a way I can side step that and get to use it on my laptop. I realize I could hook it to my desktop and transfer the info elsewhere and then format the hard drive and transfer the info back on the hard drive. Is there an easier way by getting around it? Thanks.