1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmmm.. Videoish

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Jademalo, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Jademalo

Jademalo Regular member

CAn anyone think of a way to record a direct feed from a ds, NOT AN EMULATOR to get perfect videos? i know its possible, because sites such as Gamespot and IGN have them..

I was thinking something along the lines of running a homebrew app that sends the video stream to a comp thru wifi (Like Savsender) or just plonk it onto the micro SD, and then allows you to boot a game, to record.
    So like, you boot up say, ur m3 simply, run this, and in this things interface it lets you choose where to save the video, and then which game to boot up. boot up the game, and it saves or wifi transmits the video stream it to ur comp.

Anyone?

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Websites such as IGN probably have specilised devices to capture the video, or have access to an official nintendo emulator or dev kit. They may even just rely on the game makers to provide them with videos.

The problem with the DS is it was not designed for multi-tasking, so most games will take up as mush of the DS's power as they can, not leaving much free for transmitting video (which would take quite a bit of the resources)

You can get hardware modifications so that you can hook the DS up to a TV (or PC video card to record) and this would be your best chance of doing this without using an emulator, but it really isn't worth it.

3. Jademalo

Jademalo Regular member

.. Hardware mods?

4. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Yes, dunno if theres any for the Lite, but for the original DS there are two I can think of, one was a camera that clipped onto the top screen, and sent the image to the TV, the other was this internal thing which sent the image of both screens to a TV (maybe 2 TVs?) and doubled the thickness of the DS.

I'll see if I can find some links.

EDIT:
    Here's the first thing I was talking about http://gonintendo.com/?p=2285
    And here's the second http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/24/nintendo-ds-on-tv-it-sure-aint-purdy/
    I have noticed both of these are prototype news posts, so i dunno if these were ever sold

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007