1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hoiw much compression is too much for mobile DVD players ??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pyzon, Aug 13, 2004.

1. pyzon

pyzon Member

I recall way back when things were going well for the good guys (and gals) at 321 Studios that they were soon going to announce a DVD recording software designed for the mobile DVD (and I asume laptop) crowd that would fit 5 or so movies on 1 SL DVD without a visible (?) loss of quality when viewed on up to a 25" TV.

Anybody experiment via DVD Shrink/Nero to discover just how much is too much compression for the little screen users to keep the monkeys in the back satisfied ?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

I'm very skeptical of that statement. Even with compressed formats like Xvid and so forth there is still a loss of quality - it's inevitable with any type of compression.

This would be a situation that calls for some rewritable DVDs and some experimentation. What's acceptable and what isn't boils down to your personal tatses and the capabilities of the hardware you're going to be viewing the copies on.

For a tiny screen like that I doubt the native resolution is very high in the first place so I imagine you could squish the movies quite a bit and not notice a heck of a lot of difference, nor the monkeys for that matter :p