1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home appliances being hacked

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Mez, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Mez

Mez Active member

This is a bit more current than routers being attacked. Like the routers, this type of attack is predictable. About 6 months ago some hacker got into an internet security video service. Fools bought the service so they can check on their house with their smart phone. They had no clue that hackers could use the surveillance cameras to case their house and rob it. The hacker could access any camera in the system.

My home security company is pushing an internet service so you can turn on or off your system from a cell phone. How convenient!

http://business.newsfactor.com/news/Internet-Devices-Lure-Hackers/story.xhtml?story_id=12200AVM016O

People, do you really need to control your thermostate from your cell phone?

I don't think I am any safer just because I am paranoid. It is just my nature as a programmer; many of us tend to be wound up more tightly than most.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  2. aldan

aldan Active member

I knew it!kinda thought my smart toaster was acting a little weird.goin all maximum overdrive on me.LOL.seriously though,i think i will stick to my "dumb"appliances.

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

The only "Dumb Appliance" I have is my Mother-in-Law. Poor old thing looks like a tow-sack full of door knobs and can't boil water without scorching it!

4. aldan

aldan Active member

gutsy bugger you are.lol

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Yeah, since she’s been living with us I’ve learned the true meaning of ‘ambivalence’ (the simultaneous existence of two opposed and conflicting attitudes, emotions, etc)

It’s like watching your Mother-in-Law drive over a cliff………… in your new Cadillac!

Dammit, it only broke her arm but, it damn near ruined that New Timex watch I gave her last Christmas.

p.s. The Cadillac was insured, the watch wasn't.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

insurance would have replaced it as she was wearing it in the accident.

7. ddp

8. Mez

Mez Active member

I will post this here as well since it fits right in...

Some DVR tech/engineers were going to do some kind of test on some of the DVRs in their lab. They went by the book and checked the firmware/memory to verify everything was as is should be. They were horrified to discover every DVR in the lab was infected by a bot net. I suspect the lab was behind a serious firewall and the hacker still got through. The take away message was if you have a smart toaster it is likely that it is a toaster zombie. Any device smart enough to be infected and is connected to the internet probably is. The implication I see is your computers make better zombies. If the hackers are picking up 'pennies' they have already gotten all the dollars.

Just some food for thought from the paraniod.

9. ddp

could also have been infected while being manufactured just like those digital picture frames were a few years back.

10. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I've got one of those frames... there's a little lady inside it that keeps beating on the glass saying her name is Jeannie and she want's me to "Rub-it!". I keep telling her that I'm married and really too old for that crap!

11. ddp

don't let her out as you might be taking her place.

12. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Well, I've lived most of my life in a bottle, I guess a picture frame would be a pleasant change. LOL

13. richietea

richietea Regular member

I think tech goes a little too far with its concepts.Sheer utter lazyness controlling everthing remotely.They have only themselves to blame relying on such a service thinking it's 100 % safe.I would be gutted been on holiday and remotely looking at some camera setup only to see some large meat head body popping and deficating in my living room thinking its Britain's got talent.What could you do with poor police response times? Be such a joy to come back 2 weeks later to rock solid man turd which would have to be sand blasted off the floorboards.My toaster does one thing it toasts certain food items.I dont want to remotely "tan" my bread to the tint of aubern.Im not going to frame it and put it into the Tate modern gallery.Remotely turning on a oven? Oh god im so lazy i forgot to remotely make the damn food so im now cooking metal.Remotely turning on/off lights in quick sucession? Now you have 100 kids lined up ouside your door thinking you have setup a rave party.Remotely operated vacuum cleaner? I would dearly like the stairs done so grow some legs you oversized Jaffa cake.Remotely kicking in a gas fire? Well your not there just yet to reep the rewards but you can now come home to finding out your daughters favourite pet Gerbil is rather crispy through dehydration(problem solved with the empty oven).Remotely opening up curtains and blinds? Not realising your virginal teenage daughter has secretly brought her new boyfriend back for some cherry popping only to be revealed through the living room patio windows in public like a prize in a freak game show.Remotely controlled gym equipment? Shit didnt realise that the wife was using the treadmill at the time so now im footing the private health care bill as they remove splinters of glass out of her arse due to her been catapluted out of the window like a rag doll on speed.We should stick to Betamax and a long wired remote as no sane thief would attempt to remove that hunk of brushed metal without asking 4 of the neighbours to help get it in a tail lift truck.The only remote device i would like to see is a Kindle or Kobo where some 60 year old is getting her kicks out of reading "50 shades of grey" only to be electricuted remotely to near death thinking she had just climaxed dust for the first time in 20 years.

14. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i have a remote with my tv,amp & air con.
    personally don't like toasters and don't own 1 (the grill cooks bread better anyway).
    i was lmao at some dopey handy man on a house renovation show getting charged about $3000 for a new fridge with internet on a limited budget (wtf why would you need internet on a fridge????).I gotta admit the salesman was very good.

no need to have cameras streaming houses people have insurance if there house get robbed.Even if you did see someone in the house and you were away and see them on camera unless you got a local who can go round and hit them you can't do anything.Personally if i go away my neighbour has my phone number and can call me if anything happens to my house.