1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Fusion Cloud?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by KillerBug, Apr 6, 2009.

1. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I hear that the new AMD fusion cloud super computer is nothing more than a bunch of Phenom II/Radeon 4870 PCs linked together somehow. I also hear that they plan to make a CPU that is half Phenom II and half Radeon 4890 for the next-gen fusion cloud. According to AMD's own site, the fusion cloud will be upgraded at least twice a year; so logicaly this new combo-chip would already be in the testing stages...

Is this assumption correct? If so, has anyone found any info on this new combo-chip...like if it will be available to us end users?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not sure where this leaves regular users. It will be a while before we see what AMD truly have in mind for this technology, but if CPU and GPU upgrades become one, that could prove interesting. I'd be relatively willing to bet there'll always be an advantage to having a discrete GPU though, but that's made even more the case if it can interface with the one included in the CPU, a sort of Hybrid Crossfire, only actually useful this time... :p

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

3-way hybrid crossfire with the physics part on the CPU...that way there would still be a few PCI express lanes left over for raid! Of course, the more common use would be for laptops and econo-PCs.

I was also thinking of the massive bandwith that could be used if you did not have to comply with PCI express speed limits.

...And no slots blocked by the VGA cooler!

Of course, having upgradable video memory was nice back in the '80s...and this would bring it back.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

But would you? As it stands now, integrated graphics built into the motherboard still use the PCI express bus. Perhaps if they'e built into the CPU it's different.