1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

home made dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rtrg, Feb 13, 2012.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I recently made a dvd copy of our video TAPE family films for my sister. The dvd played on her stand alone. it did NOT play on my brother's stand alone. MY computer does NOT play home made dvds in any format finalized or not. The dvd was recorded on a PLUS RW NOT finalized as the manual suggested since that type of dvd is supposed to me more compatible with a variety of players. Another tape was found that was the original vhs tape I made of our films and slides from the 1940's to 1980's. The quality is not an issue. This time I was thinking of making 2 dvds, one PLUS RW FINALIZED if the unit will allow. and one on a MINUS RW FINALIZED if the unit will allow. Should I also use both a PLUS and MINUS SINGLE write discs? One of those 4 dvds should be recognized by his player and/or computer. Specific suggestions please. Please move as needed.

2. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Finalizing a +RW is not necessary, so that is not the cause of this. Some players will just play discs better. I used to be able to burn discs and my $100 Apex DVD player would play them without a hitch, yet a more expensive sony player just choked on them. I would suggest doing some analysis on your discs after burning to make sure that they aren't full of errors. What brand of discs are you using, what type of burner are you using, and also why won't your PC read burned DVD? This is not the one you used to do the burns I assume.

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I use MEMOREX dvds RW only both PLUS and MINUS. I use two combo units for burning, GO VIDEO model VR3840, and a VR2945. One uses PLUS and the other uses MINUS. I do not use the computer to burn, too complicated for me, and the rom drive will not play any home made dvd but my PANASONIC player will. I can also play both formats in my MAGNAVOX 457 and 427 combo units, one with tuner, one without. This issue is very annoying to say the least. My other 2 computers also do not play these dvds. I made copies of tape to disc using the PLUS unit for family. My sisters player worked my brothers did not. Both were PLUS discs recorded from the same tape in the same unit. I am still stumpped. If you can provide me with a link to the owners manual for the LG remote 6711R1N159A that would be nice. The LG site does not list it. Nor can I find it on the web.

4. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Well Go video is doing you no favors. They are out of business now mostly because their products are hit or miss at best. I am going to bet that the reason some will not play the discs you are making is because of errors on the disc. Some machines are better at playing through this, some will just fail.

I know that Memorex discs have never had a very good reputation, and while I have had little trouble using them over the years, they do tend to work better with some hardware than others. I'd try searching for info on which type of media these recorders prefer, and go with that. Verbatim seems to make good media, and Taiyo Yuden is a crowd pleaser.

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Thanks for the info. I will try VERBATIM, I at least know that name. I tried to erace a disc on the 3840 that had only one 16 minutes title on it. I wanted the disc to be empty. The disc would not erace. ERROR on screen. I needed to use a new disc. Recorded from tape as intended. I am making two discs, one PLUS, one MINUS. Hopfuly one will work for my brother. Until I replace the units that is all I can do. Yet both dvds will play in the same units they were recorded in. If the units record errors, as well as content, would'nt the record unit also have diffulculty playing them? It would seem to me that using your theory, the unit would not know the disc was recorded on itself. The mystery continues.

6. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

I would also recommend that you not use rewriteable media. The most compatible discs for using in a standard DVD player are going to be -R. The drive that should read a disc best should be the one that burned it. Other players will have the issues, which may include not recognizing the disc, skipping or stuttering during playback, freezing, distortion of sound or video, etc.

Like I mentioned though, some players may play the disc just fine. That's the frustrating part. Even good quality machines from brand makers can skip and freeze on a disc that the $30 walmart junk player will play over and over. I wish you had access to a PC with a drive that can see these discs so you could test them for errors. If the disc came back bad, then you'll at least know what's causing the failures when trying to play on different machines.

7. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I will try single write discs if i need to.