1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

home network file sharing

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by jerecho, Apr 22, 2007.

1. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

i have 2 computers in my house and want to share files from 1 to another via my wireless router. how do i set it up so i can do it. i have comcast internet and connect wlan

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Your ISP has nothing to do with sharing files in your network. What your going to have to do is go into your control panel and setup your network setup wizard.

If you post back I will walk you through it, if need be.

3. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

i did the network setup wizard on my laptop and it went fine. i named my network and named my laptop and it all went fine. when i try to run the wizard on my desktop it gets all the way to the end and then i get an error of some kind and it tells my that the network wizard has not completed successfully. i am stumped still.

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

and more stuff.. pretty neat.. http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

You have something wrong somewhere.. probably the network name, or some 3rd party firewall software like stupid norton internet security.
    Check that there isn't some other firewall running in the background.. Windows is stupid and can only configure itself.

Strange fact... The xbox network guides work splendidly for small networks of two or three machines. Larger setups are easier to handle with a router/network manager-dhcp server

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2007