1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home network issues/begginer

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by NicHt, Mar 18, 2007.

1. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

I was trying to connect my compaq Presario B1800 to my desktop PC, as I have sucsessfully connected other laptops to my PC before, I knew generally what to do, fidling and stuff. I tried that, but to no avail. I was just using the integrated LAN ports on both PC's and the LAN cord, I know both ports work as I have used them both separetly.

-Basicly what I am asking for is a step by step guide on how to connect the two (Using only a cable no router[as i will not need the internet]) any help would be great.

Thanks

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Step 1) insert crossover cable into both systems
    Step 2) run network wizard on both systems
    Step 3) reboot both systems
    Step 4) do whatever it is you wanted to do.

3. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

network wizard?? YOu mean home and office setup wizard? that doesn't do it, I tried.

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

are you sure you're using the right kind of cable ?

5. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Yeah, I'm sure I am using the right cable, as I know have switched the internet cable and am now using the desktop to type this message (Opposed to the laptop which is normally online) So i am sure both network cards work and cable works. I have done some things from online guides. Such as setting IP to: 192.169.0.1 and laptop IP: 192.169.0.2 etc. But have had no luck, My desktop just keeps saying Unplugged with the big red 'X' I have done the 'ipconfig' on my desktop and it just says Unplugged (no IP setting etc) on the laptop it says unplugged but it also says the Ip and all. I have tried to ping the IP and nothing. So if that helps, I would love further help. Thanks fiend but it still isn't working.
    Any help?

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Uhm, i don't think you understand me here.
    The TYPE of cable you use to connect 2 pc's is DIFFERENT than the type of cable you use to connect to a modem or router, as one of the connectors is wired the "wrong" way around.
    Crossover cable , as opposed to a normal Cat5 cable

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2007
  7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

compare both ends of the cable side by side to see if the colored wires goto the same pin in each connect or different pin. if same pin than is a straight thru cable & if different pin is a crossover cable. check this link on making a crossover cable. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/228856

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Thanks for the link ddp, couldn't find that thread anymore.
    As ddp implied, check the thread he links to, compare your cable, and make sure you are using a crossover cable to connect those 2 computers together.

9. ddp

was in my favorites

10. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Ur.. sh** again, I look like a fool. Thanks a billion. Could you send me a crossover cable email please? XD I also have a cable for the XBOX-360 online thing, would that work?
    Thanks.

11. ddp

who send you a crossover cable email?

12. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

anyone XD

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

just go to your local electronics wallet rapery and pick up a crossover cable.