1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Networking

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by PeaInAPod, Jun 18, 2007.

1. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Okay I have tried and failed many times. Simply put I have 3 PC's and a router. I want create a LAN for filesharing and gaming. All PC's are wired to the router. My PC is running Windows XP and the other two are running Windows XP MCE. help please.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you run the home office network wizard & enable file sharing on all affected drives?

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I'm pretty sure I did do that, but just to make sure I'll do it all again in the morning and post back with my results.

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I believe that with Windows XP filesharing is always enabled on the drives, I went back and re-enabled it for the other two Win. XP MCE computers. Ran the network setup wizard on all 3 PC's inputting the same network name and what not on all the PC's. But I still can't get them to talk.

5. ddp

disable any firewall as found that out with a customer. he can only see the other computers when the firewalls were disabled.

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Okay, I'll give that a shot. But that really sucks, I am sitting behind my router and got it configured properly so I am not using the firewall for protection just to monitor and limit internet access to certain programs. If the firewall disabling works do you know of any program that is similar to a firewall in the fact that alerts you when a program requests internet access? And lets you set privileges/rules for the programs?

7. ddp

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yeah I know not to disable the routers firewall but I use my software firewall for what I'll call "internet access control". I will try disabling my firewall, but I will still need a program for "internet access control". Do you know of any program that alerts you when a program requests internet access? And lets you set privileges/rules for the programs?

9. ddp

zonealarm does as it is a firewall program

10. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Okay I disabled the firewall on my PC and 1 of the Win MCE pc's and as I found out the other PC isn't even running a firewall. So right now none of the PC's have a firewall running. And they are still not talking to each other.

Would posting my router model help any?

11. ddp

won't do me any good as i'm more hands on. try restarting the computers with their firewalls disabled & see what it does after say 10 minutes.

12. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

After some fiddling, I got the two Media Center PC's to talk to each other and they can see me. On my Windows XP machine however it's as if I am not there. I have no "Network Places" window, yet both PC's can get files off my PC??

Thanks for the help so far ddp :)

13. ddp

go into control panel as i think network places is there. don't use xp on my main system but do on laptop but it is upstairs.