1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Player Burning and Viewing Issues

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by norcalhkr, Jan 11, 2005.

1. norcalhkr

norcalhkr Member

First off, sorry if this has been gone over before, but no searches yielded an answer for me.
    Second, thanks for all that those who take the time to help me out.

Ok... here is my problem:
    I just purchased an Emerson EWR20V4 (insert joke here) side by side player. The player uses DVD-R/RW disks and the burner has two recording modes, VR and Video mode. As I understand it, VR mode is what you use to edit and add content at a later time even after finalizing the disk and video mode is just a straight recording option, much like VHS, where you can't edit and alter.
    So what I am running into is this.
    If I burn something in VR mode, say, an episode of the X-Files that I recorded from satellite I am able to view the episode on the Emerson player but I am unable to view the episode on any other DVD player in my house including my laptop DVD player. Now, let's say I burn that same episode of the X-Files in video mode, not VR mode. Once the episode is written to the disk I cannot edit the episode in any way (meaning I can't take the commercials out)like I can when I record in VR mode. But,unlike recording in VR mode, once the episode recorded in video mode is finalized I can view the episode on any one of my three home DVD players, including my laptop.

My question is this: Is this sort of recording issue commonplace with all home DVD burner?. Meaning, if I record something in the mode that let's me alter and rewrite at a later time can I not view what I recorded on any other player except for the one that the disk was burned on? Likewise, If I burn a disk in the mode that prevents me from editing at a later time is this the only way that I can view the disk on all of my other players?

Just to be sure I tried three different brands of DVD's; FUJI, Memorex and Maxell. All had the same result.

Is there anyone who has an answer to this problem? Is this sort of problem indicative of all home player DVD burners? Will a different brand or type of player,i.e. DVD-Ram, DVD+RW, etc. let me record in edit mode but still allow me to watch the DVD on my other home players?

Thanks for your help.
    NorCal

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear norcalhkr,
    Good questions you got there. You're basically right about the difference between video and VR mode. Unfortunately, not many DVD players accept VR mode, that's why you have those problems. So compatibility is always a concern with burning. Basically, you just have to do the editing before burning in video mode.

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

You might want to try looking on this forum for your answers:http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/109

I got a dvd recorder, for christmas this year, and ive been dabbling with that vr-video mode. As far as I can tell, neither my pioneer 108 burner, or my dvd rom drive, will recognize the discs burnt in the vr mode.I have Intervideo Instant copy 3, thats supposed to handle discs burned in the vr mode.However,its not much good when neither the burner, or the drive, will support it.
    Sorry I wasnt much help.

good luck finding an answer.When you do,fill me in LOL
    jim

4. norcalhkr

norcalhkr Member

Thanks for the info SCF. The problem I am running into is that I can choose either video mode or VR mode when I record something but I can't do the same when the time comes to finalize the disk. So, if I record something in VR mode so I can edit it at a later time I can't finalize it in video mode after I edit for commercials. This is the frusterating part, what good is burning a disk if you can only view it on the machine you burned it on? What good will it do me in the future if that machine breaks and I have to get a new one, thus making all of my burned DVD's unviewable?

Does anyone know if this is the case with all burners? You can't record in edit mode if you want to be able to view it in other players?

5. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I just found a program that will convert your dvd's recorded in the VR to Video mode.
    What I did was make my dvd in my recorder in the VR mode, (with all the good editing features)then I finalized it,(in the vr mode)then I used a program called Ulead movie factory 3.5(it came packaged with my pc's dvd burner)using the copy/fit to disc, option.The discs worked in all my dvd players.

You can buy this program online for 50 dollars(usd)
    http://www.ulead.com/dmf/runme.htm
    blaze on
    jim

6. norcalhkr

norcalhkr Member

Thanks for the info Jim. So let me see if I have this straight. I copy my programs in VR mode, do all the editing I want to do, the finalize in VR mode, then I take the DVD and a place it in my laptop and finalize it again with the Ulead software and I will be able to view my DVD's in any of my players?
    This sounds pretty good, I'll check it out.

Also, do you, or does anyone know how to get around the copyright protection of VHS to DVD transfers? Specifically, my daughter has a ton of Disney movies on VHS and we would like to transfer them to DVD but everytime I push the 1-touch dubbing button I get a prompt that says the VHS is copyright protected. Know how to get around this?
    Thanks

7. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

No you dont finalize it with ulead, you use ulead to transfer the disc recorded in the VR format, to something usable like a dvdrw-or+,or a dvdr-or+(video mode),and that plays in most dvd players.
    It takes roughly an hour depending on your computers system specs, and size of the disc.
    This might be a little too time consuming for most, but for what I want it for, it works just fine for me.
    I believe what you want for your vhs tapes, is a video clarifier,ive never used one, but thats what im hearing you need.
    Try searching e-bay

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  8. norcalhkr

norcalhkr Member

Thanks again Jim,
    One last question and I'll be sufficiently educated. For the Ulead DVD program to work, will a standard CD rom drive with cd burning and dvd viewing capabilities be enough or do I have to have a dvd burner in my computer to finalizs the disks? I have been toying with the idea of getting an external DVD burner for my computer but then there is another $250 that I don't have.

9. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Yes you'll need a dvd burner,both of mine are internal, so I dont know what an external one will cost. Im guessing not anywhere near the 250 your saying.

10. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Re. changing between video and VR mode, you may want to dowonload and try Nero to see if it can do it. There is this option in Nero Vision Express but I've never tried it.
    Good luck!