1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home stereo keeps cutting out. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by adeemo, Sep 15, 2008.

1. adeemo

adeemo Member

Not sure if the is the correct place to post this, but anyway.

When i'm playing music on my stereo through an audio cable, the sound regularly cuts out meaning I need to turn it off and on again for the sound to return. I've tried checking the connections and what not but the problem persists. As you can imagine it is extremely annoying, the stereo is JVC, about 5yrs old and out of warranty.

Any help would be great, thanks.

2. varnull

varnull Guest

Overload or overheat protection circuit..

Check your speaker wires and total impedance.

3. Mez

Mez Active member

To add to varnull's suggestion -
    You are pulling too much power! The annoying shut down by your protection circuits are preventing the destruction of your speakers or your amp or both.

If this is only happening from a particular source, you mention "audio cable" you are over feeding your amp. Try cutting down the volume or changing the input jack to Aux port. Some input jacks in some amps get more amplification than others the Aux gets less amplification.

If this always happens, then you either have too many speakers or you have speakers too rich for your amp. Most high end amps can feed down to 4 ohms most speakers are 8 or 16 ohm. 2 16s make a 8. 2 8s make a 4. 1 4 will KILL an 8 ohm amp. By halving the ohms you double the power load. Power hogs that produce great bass (do you have a subwoffer?) are often 4 ohm. Low notes played loud require lots of power to move that much air. Low end amps can only supply 8 ohms.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008