1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Theater Receivers and Video upconversion

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by vspede, Nov 19, 2007.

1. vspede

vspede Member

As always whenever I plan on buying something I always check here first :)

I'm planning on buying a home theater system because my old 5.1's broke. (Damn hizzing and buzzing).

However, during my shopping I've come across receivers that say they have Video upconversion. What does that mean really?

From what I can gather, it works like an upconverting DVD Player? Makes regular DVD's look better aka similar to High Def?

I have an OPPO Upconverting DIVX player and it works wonderfully. But my question is this.

If this is Upconverting will it make standard def shows look better?

We all know Standard Def shows look like crap blurry on an HDTV but will a receiver with Video upconversion make it look better? Or am I way off.

I have HD access DirectTV HD-DVR. Which means I have like 10 HD channels and 200 standard def channels.

Heres such a receiver that I'm looking at if it does: Onkyo TX-SR605

However, if that's not the case I'm probably just going to get a HTiB: Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1 Channel Home Theater System all inclusive

Any help would be appreciated.

2. vspede

vspede Member

Anyone?

3. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

The oppo is a good upconverting player, so the new receiver will most likely be of no help (4 video tha is)

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

I 4 one am not a receiver fan, but a pre/pro and amp fan. Goto Outlaw Audio.com and lookup their pre/pro amp combo. Much better than a receiver for HT anyday.

5. vspede

vspede Member

Well I bought the Home Theater System in a Box anyways and I have to say I love it.

It's better than having no speakers at all but I guess it really does shine during action movies.

In reply to the last post about settings. I guess I say analog looks like crap b/c I prefer to watch things in widescreen. Whereas most analog shows are box format.

btw, another great point about this system: the speakers have built in wall hangs. So all I did was just put a screw in a wall and hang!

Now if only Directv would update my condo with a 5 lnb dish....

Thanks for the input!