1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Theatre set-up

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by adomyetz, Mar 15, 2007.

1. adomyetz

adomyetz Member

I have just purchased my first projector(mitsubishi hd1000u), and I would like to know of some way of making a great home-made screen or if I should just spend the money for one. The screen will probably be around 120". Is that too big of a screen for this projector? I would like to build my own, if there is some way of getting the same quality of a bought screen. Please offer advice.

Also: Should I "calibrate" my projector? What is some tips on setting up a 7.1 surrond sound system in a 30'X30' room? Is there anywhere to get a 100'+ phone chord?

2. chrisfunk

chrisfunk Regular member

Whoh buddy, that's like 100 questions in one! I'm not going to talk about stuff I don't know about,,,but about the screen, all you need is something white with a non-glossy surface.
    At the college I go to they don't even use them,,,they just have white painted walls! (cheap or what?)
    If you want to be able to pack it away then a bought, roller type is probably best, though there is no reason why you couldn't make something from a window blind as long as you can find one made in a decent white fabric.

With regards to the size,,,there should be info with your projector telling you the projected screen size,,,but you should just set it up where it will be used and see for yourself. Depending on the distance and focus settings, you could make it as big as you want,,,but there will be an optimum distance etc to get the best picture quality,,,size isn't everything.

3. Bobby728

Bobby728 Member

Cheap easy great screen.

First calculate your screen size.Throw distance.
    Then buy a cheap screen material from someplace,Prob. ebay.
    Build a retangular wood frame.
    Wrap the frame in a black fine material and staple the back.
    Then strech the screen while you staple the back so its tight.
    Then add another 1x2 to the back,so the screen will never come loose.

Then Just get a ceiling mount.And a good surround system and set it up.

4. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Here's a Beginner's Guide to Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Screens:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=708009

...and a whole section on avsforums discussing DIY Screens:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=110

You should get enough ideas on painted or fabric screens. If you feel the DIY route is not for you then try to stay with the trusted brands like Da-Lite, Carada, and Stewart.

I'm a firm believer in calibration. In fact I had my Sony projector calibrated by an ISF-Certified professional. Remember you need each input calibrated.

A 30x30 room is a very large area and needs hefty amplification. Look for 120 minimum up to to 200 watts per channel.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2007
  5. adomyetz

adomyetz Member

Thanks guys, what do ya'll know about this spray-paint method that I heard about. Could I build a frame, use bought screen material or maybe a sheet, then paint it with a spray paint?

6. adomyetz

adomyetz Member

Thanks DBLBOGEY7, that's some great info! I'm not as electronically savvy as I would like to be. I'm gonna check these sites out.

7. Bobby728

Bobby728 Member

Are you looking to build a mini hometheater room,or just a quick easy Hometheater setup?

8. adomyetz

adomyetz Member

I have a 30X30 foot building, and just bought a projector. I'm getting it ready to set-up the home theatre. It will be used mostly for ps3 and ballgames, with an occasional movie.